10er table finish?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DarrenDD
Gold Member

10er table finish?

Post by DarrenDD »

Hello all,
I am building a new top for a 10er and plan to use a single piece of unfinished butcher block (I believe maple or hevea). Could I get some recommendations as to the finish I should apply?

Thanks in advance, and a big thanks from someone who has reaped many tips and tricks from a lot of you here kind enough to share your knowledge. Your knowledge has helped me understand/resolve many things about my 1947 10e that my grandfather’s coffee stained Montgomery Ward original manual has.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 10er table finish?

Post by JPG »

How about latex paint? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

Nope
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DarrenDD wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:49 pmNope
Not sure you got the rubber tree connection. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

…got it now, ha.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

DarrenDD,

I want to make sure I understand actually what you are making before I make any recommendations. Is it a replacement for the Wood Extension Table like the one shown below?

_
10E Extension Table Assembly.jpg
10E Extension Table Assembly.jpg (192.1 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

Hi Russ,
No, it is the table the legs and casters are attached to and the actual machine itself is bolted to.
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

…I guess “bench” would have been a better term. Looking forward to you opinion.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

I like to use tung oil or shellac on anything requiring a traditional finish, and I use tung oil on all my shop work surfaces because it is easy to sand and recoat when the surface gets beat up.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

DarrenDD,

For the bench itself there are many options to choose from including the suggestion above. I have seen everything from unfinished wood to a variety of finishes. I personally used a Varathane stain finish for the bench under my Model 10E S/N 1077. It is 2 x 8's attached to the metal bench ends. I used Varathane without a stain on my Model 10ER bench's 2 x 8's also.

Something to keep in mind if you are using the Metal Bench ends with 2 x 8's is the board length. For Model 10E and early Model 10ER's with the larger Base and 4 Bolt Headrest the boards should be 60" long and for the shorter Base and 2 Bolt Headrest they should be 57" long unless you are doing a custom bench size. These sizes put the Base end bolt through the pre-drilled hole for it in the top of the Metal Bench End and the Headrest Bolts (2) through the pre-drilled holes in the other end of the Metal Bench End.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.