Idler Eccentric bushing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

brockwb
Bronze Member

Idler Eccentric bushing

Post by brockwb »

Had to install a new drive sleave assembly on my Mark V...

Problem...finally got the poly v belt on but cannot get the idler eccentric to go back in without pushing the idler shaft bearing and idler shaft thru...
Help...
miken
Gold Member

Re: Idler Eccentric bushing

Post by miken »

Between the two bearings in the eccentric is a spacer. It's about centered between the outer and inner bearings. There is a setscrew in the side of the eccentric that you tighten to hold that spacer in place. Sounds like that setscrew may need to be tightened.

See the bottom two pictures on this page: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24293&start=20

Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

brockwb wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:18 pm Had to install a new drive sleave assembly on my Mark V...

Problem...finally got the poly v belt on but cannot get the idler eccentric to go back in without pushing the idler shaft bearing and idler shaft thru...
Help...
IIRC it needs to be installed from the inside.
link fixed viewtopic.php?p=40961#post40961

The new eccentric should install the same but the setscrew/groove is non-applicable..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
miken
Gold Member

Post by miken »

JPG wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 pm
brockwb wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:18 pm Had to install a new drive sleave assembly on my Mark V...

Help...
IIRC it needs to be installed from the inside.
I hold the sheave with the belt on it in my left hand, align the keyway, and slide the eccentric with the idler shaft in from the outside. Rotate the eccentric so the thinnest part is at the top so there is lots of play available. Once I have the sheave on the shaft I just push them together.

[Edit] Sorry, nevermind, I remember Dusty saying he has a snap ring that holds the sheave on for a Mark V/5. My Mark VII does not.

Mike -
ShopSmith Mark VII (406982), with Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, and Jointer
ShopSmith Mark VII (400457), (working backup or parts machine)
12" Craftsman Band Saw (113.243311)
12" Craftsman Powered Hacksaw (108.1501)
12" Atlas Commercial (3990) 12" Back Geared, Undermount, Screw Cutting Lathe with Quick Change Gear Box, Taper, Milling and Grinding Attachments
Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine with Vertical Milling Attachment
Atlas 7B Metal Shaper
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 pm IIRC it needs to be installed from the inside.
mcp.php?i=main&mode=post_details&f=10&p ... a79a63035f

The new eccentric should install the same but the setscrew/groove is non-applicable..
That link doesn't work for me. First, I have to log in if not already, then it says: "You are not authorised to access this area." (Probably means authorized, with a "Z...") I've installed eccentrics from the outside before.

For the OP - Did you only replace the drive sleeve? I think we are getting some confusion over the version(s) of hardware you have. When I do this I have the speed control and motor removed to give me good access so I can hold the idler shaft in position and make sure the Poly-V belt is engaged in the grooves on both pulleys. It can be a tight fit, tighter if you have a new belt. But with the thin side of the eccentric up for minimum belt tension it should slide in there.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 pm
JPG wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 pm IIRC it needs to be installed from the inside.
mcp.php?i=main&mode=post_details&f=10&p ... a79a63035f

That link doesn't work for me. First, I have to log in if not already, then it says: "You are not authorised to access this area." (Probably means authorized, with a "Z...") I've installed eccentrics from the outside before.

For the OP - Did you only replace the drive sleeve? I think we are getting some confusion over the version(s) of hardware you have. When I do this I have the speed control and motor removed to give me good access so I can hold the idler shaft in position and make sure the Poly-V belt is engaged in the grooves on both pulleys. It can be a tight fit, tighter if you have a new belt. But with the thin side of the eccentric up for minimum belt tension it should slide in there.

- David
That is the 'British' spelling!

Will clean up that link >>>DONE

I agree it can be done from the outside as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange