Removing extension table dog bone studs

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tcooper27
Silver Member

Removing extension table dog bone studs

Post by tcooper27 »

Hi all,

I noticed the casting is dented where my front rail extrusion bolts to the extension table. This has been causing me some alignment issues as the front rail on the extension table has a twist relative to the main table rail.

My plan was to swap out the dog bone and legs to one of my floating tables that is straight but I’m not sure how to get the studs out to move them. Info on it seems sparse. Can anyone help?
Attachments
DB70CF4C-B140-49E7-97F5-4265530BBC2A.jpeg
DB70CF4C-B140-49E7-97F5-4265530BBC2A.jpeg (589.18 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Removing extension table dog bone studs

Post by JPG »

You need to tap the floating table bores.

This will leave you with a floating table that is 'twisted'.

I believe removing the studs is very difficult(IF feasible).(I do not know how they are secured)

I would try GENTLE persuasion to fix the dented table skirt.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Put new bolts on the floating table and cut the bolts off of the extension table.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Instead of trying to bend the table can you put a washer between the table and the tube mount?
BigSky wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:47 pm Put new bolts on the floating table and cut the bolts off of the extension table.
This is what I recommend if you insist on making a new extension table. You don't need to take the old ones out at all, better to cut them off if they're in the way of something. You can get new studs but you'll have to tap the floating table anyway and you might as well just tap it for a regular bolt. The mounting points are not deep, so you'll need to start with a tapered tap and finish with a bottoming tap. You could also just drill all the way through the table, the holes won't make any big difference.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’d start with JPG’s suggestion. If you remove the rail, you can adjust a Crescent wrench such that it just slips over the bent table “skirt”. Then tweak the skirt straight gradually, moving the wrench up and down the bent section.

If you can’t get it straight enough that way, but the other rail mount aligns properly, you can still form a perfectly-fitting shim between the table and the standoff. If you can align the rail quickly, hot glue is quick and easy. If not, an epoxy putty will do the trick. Just put some tape over the standoff and some vaseline in the bolt, so that the glue doesn’t stick to them, and assemble it lightly unil the glue hardens. Once hardened, you’ll have a true surface that you can tighten down against.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:09 pm I’d start with JPG’s suggestion. If you remove the rail, you can adjust a Crescent wrench such that it just slips over the bent table “skirt”. Then tweak the skirt straight gradually, moving the wrench up and down the bent section.

If you can’t get it straight enough that way, but the other rail mount aligns properly, you can still form a perfectly-fitting shim between the table and the standoff. If you can align the rail quickly, hot glue is quick and easy. If not, an epoxy putty will do the trick. Just put some tape over the standoff and some vaseline in the bolt, so that the glue doesn’t stick to them, and assemble it lightly unil the glue hardens. Once hardened, you’ll have a true surface that you can tighten down against.
Brilliant!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tcooper27
Silver Member

Post by tcooper27 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try to persuade it and if that doesn't work I'll try shimming with the epoxy putty.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tcooper27 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 pm Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try to persuade it and if that doesn't work I'll try shimming with the epoxy putty.
Gently. It is cast aluminum.

I would exchange tables or consider straightening the edge with an application of JBWeld.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

tcooper27,

Good ideas above already. I think the simplest way would be to use some shim washers in between the fence rail spacer and the bent table area. Add enough shims to fill the bent in area to realign the fence rail.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.