New to me Mark V

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New to me Mark V

Post by chapmanruss »

That looks like the original power cord, switch and motor. Being that old I would recommend replacing the power cord with a new one that includes a ground. The ground can be attached to the motor thereby grounding the entire unit. You may consider replacing the switch while you have everything apart and avoid having to replace it later in the middle of a project. As long as the motor work fine clean it out and lubricate the pulley sheave shaft with several drops of lightweight oil. There should be a small hole in the end of the sheave under the spring. If it doesn't have an oil hole separate the sheaves and put drops of oil directly on the shaft as recommended in the Owner's Manual for your Mark 5. It is hard to do by hand but pull the sheave out several times to distribute the oil. The same should be done for the Idler Shaft Pulley.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Buy a #12 extension cord and cut the socket end off and add ring terminals.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ScotSunnergren
Silver Member

Post by ScotSunnergren »

lol...just returned from Lowes with a replacement power cord and switch. None of the switches had a common connection. If I am not mistaken, the common from the motor and the one from the power cord can be connected and only the live wire from each connect to the switch...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

As long as "common" means neutral, then yes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ScotSunnergren
Silver Member

Post by ScotSunnergren »

BTW... getting the motor out was a serious PITA. Because of the switch. The switch block would not just pop out after taking off the retainer nut because it was too big to push straight back past the quill and the cords were too tight to it to allow me to swivel it much. The new switches are much smaller and should not be a problem. But I am going to put in a couple electrical connectors closer to the motor so future servicing won't require the removal of the switch.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Good move!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

ScotSunnergren
Silver Member

Post by ScotSunnergren »

I have a little crud to clear out...but for having sat unused since the '80s, according to the seller, not to bad...

PXL_20211015_185329120x.jpg
PXL_20211015_185329120x.jpg (369.86 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Cleaner than mine was! I should have taken pics
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

ScotSunnergren wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:10 pm BTW... getting the motor out was a serious PITA. Because of the switch. The switch block would not just pop out after taking off the retainer nut because it was too big to push straight back past the quill and the cords were too tight to it to allow me to swivel it much. The new switches are much smaller and should not be a problem. But I am going to put in a couple electrical connectors closer to the motor so future servicing won't require the removal of the switch.
I think instructions I read on this task recommend extending the quill and locking it there to give you more room to access the back of the switch. :) Or it’s easy enough to remove the quill.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

ScotSunnergren wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:32 pm I have a little crud to clear out...but for having sat unused since the '80s, according to the seller, not to bad..

PXL_20211015_185329120x.jpg
From the pic, it appears you have a failed button bearing or attaching hardware (or both). The button bearing is at the control-end of the control sheave, and that wire around the speed control quadrant is in the wrong position by a lot. The pic is not the best view for this, but I'm pretty sure you have a problem in this area. It is not uncommon. Solution depends a bit on the magnitude of damage, primarily whether the control sheave can be rebuilt with a new button bearing or not. The good news is that the control sheave is essentially unchanged from then 'til now.

- David