New to me Mark V

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New to me Mark V

Post by JPG »

Good eye! The 'loop' is not attached to the bearing hub.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ScotSunnergren
Silver Member

Post by ScotSunnergren »

I got the electric sorted out and remounted the head unit on the rails. As the old switch was still working fine, I re-used that.

I found that the speed dial that tells you what speed it is at was not spinning when using the speed control so I took that off and found that the gear in the speed control handle was shredded. Found a guy on Ebay that exchanges your broken one for one repaired with a steel gear for $20 so that is now winging its way off to him. But before sending it, I had the thing running and used the jointer and all appears well.

I have not "restored" it to the pristine condition that I see some people do. I have rewired it so it is hopefully safer, did a little cleaning and oiling and got it operational. I am sure that there may be pieces that need repairing/replacing in the future but I wanted to get it into usable mode so I can start playing with it. I should have my control knob back next week which gives me time to put some paint on some closet doors in the garage before I start filling it with sawdust... :)

Thank you everyone for the tips and pointers. I plan to keep watching this board and hopefully will have further dealings with you all.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I hope you do not NEED to have 'further dealings'. Stay tuned in! :)

FWIW:

Did you get the 'loop' reattached to the button bearing?

That knob rebuild is a good alternative to a new one.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

ScotSunnergren wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:39 pm Does anyone know where I can get the install instructions for this...?

500_clear_sawguard_upgrade2_l.jpg
Link to manual for the saw guard.
www.lhdigest.com/SS/MANUALS/OTHER%20TOO ... 505875.pdf

and link to the retrofit instructions.
www.lhdigest.com/SS/MANUALS/OTHER%20TOO ... 555294.pdf
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,