Shopsmith Planer outfeed roller

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Planer outfeed roller

Post by jsburger »

adrianpglover wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:09 pm To be exact (engineer here) the planer manual I have is the same printing mentioned above, 845051 12/91. It came with three addendums - a parts breakdown (no part number or date, just three pages stapled together in the corner), a 845072 10/93 update to the original manual with updated directions for specific steps on specific page numbers, and a 845672 Rev A 11/13 addition to the manual for when using the planer with a PowerPro headstock (but not actually instructions updates for the original manual). Looking at the paperwork now I suspect that the issue is the original source material, and in fact the computers, software, and people all related to the original manual, are now long since gone. The original manual and updated instructions are copyrighted to Shopsmith, while the PowerPro additional instructions is copyright of RLFSHOP, LLC. It may be that the items were lost since then. Besides that, in '91 they were likely using wordperfect or some other predecessor to our current suite of publishing software.

In any case - an update to my situation. I sent a lengthy (who, me?) email to customer service this morning explaining the situation in a straightforward manner. I also mentioned the issue I have noticed since the beginning that the right most infeed roller segment wasn't tightened onto the hex bar, so it allowed most of the segments to move back and forth, and that the right most segment had actually dug into the casting of the right side frame a little. On my way home from work today I received an response stating that they were going to issue me an RMA for both the infeed and outfeed rollers, providing me with a shipping label for the return and instructions for the replacement of the rollers, they'd replace the parts for free, and for my troubles they will also be sending me a Shopsmith gift card. Talk about customer service! The unit is out of warranty. I should have contacted them immediately during the warranty period to have the problems corrected, but I left it alone because this is just a hobby for me and I don't have a lot of time at the moment in the shop. I've seen this level of customer service only a handful of times, and it usually comes from the smaller businesses where they're reputation for customer service is one of their main priorities. I'm not saying that this will happen for others, but this is definitely a company to show loyalty to.

I've got the planer dismantled now with a moving blanket over it in the hopes that my kids will leave it alone so it stays synchronized. While I was taking it apart today I think my 2 year old "helper" ran off with my 5/32" t-handle Allen wrench - can't find it anywhere. I think when this thing was put together the assembly team just wasn't having a good week. Here's one more item that I have a feeling was incorrect, see if you can spot it. Thinking I have some copper tubing about that size around here...
20211026_184531_smaller.png
They are exactly the same company. Legal problems made them chance the name,

Glad to see SS is starting to get back to the customer service they have been known for for over 70 years.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Spacer missing on the anti-kick back bail shaft.

They have ALWAYS had a policy re defects to replace defective parts regardless of any timing details.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Good to hear that your issues are being resolved.

As for the Manual comments, most manuals stopped including the diagram and parts lists as early as the later 1950's which were than made as a separate page or pages. That ended the need to constantly change the entire manual for a part change that did not effect operating the tool. As you point out due to earlier formats redoing an entire manual is less cost effective than adding addendums although I believe there should be a limit on the number of addendums before a revised manual should be done. Multiple addendums can get confusing. The last revision date on a manual being much older than the tool does not necessarily mean it is outdated operating information since Shopsmith Tools change little over even decades.

Shopsmith Inc. changed to RLF Shop LLC than to RLF Brands LLC both in 2010 but is the same company and as John said for legal reasons. RLF Brands LLC owns all the rights to the Shopsmith line of tools.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.