Sliding T-bolts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Sliding T-bolts

Post by edma194 »

Got the Sliding T-Bolt System Kit to try out this technique for mounting a shaper fence. Alas, the bolts are not long enough. That problem is on me.

However, the quality of the product is not great. Only 2 of the sliders will fit in Shopsmith miter slots, the other 2 will have to be ground down. Only half the knobs will thread on properly, the others need to have the threads cleaned up. Anyone else tried these and had these problems? I'll fix them and use them for something, no point in trying to return them, but curious if this was what to expect with the plain T-Nuts I'm going to order.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Sliding T-bolts

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Sorry these are a problem for you. I was wondering if this issue was resolved or not for Shopsmith. I remember at least one thread in the past year where someone got brand new sliding t-nuts from Shopsmith and they were warped/bent making them unusable. I tried, but couldn't find the thread that I remembered, but here is another one reporting issues recently. Definitely contact Shopsmith CS and see what they will do.

viewtopic.php?p=278397#p278397
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

FWIW, I have 12 or 15 (maybe more) mostly T nuts. I made some of them into T bolts using all thread and staking it into the T nut. I also have a few T bolts bought as such from SS. I have never had a problem with any of them. One thing to note is that mine were all purchased many years ago.

I would certainly contact SS. If they don't know there is a problem they can't fix it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I have quite a few of the plain T-nuts, and the quality is excellent on all of them. I ordered a 4-pack from the mothership several years ago, and the rest I accumulated from CL purchases.

That's odd about your quality problem on the sliding body. My SS T-nuts all appear to be die-cast, which should be a very repeatable process.

If there's room for a jam nut beneath whatever you're mounting, a threaded rod and a jam nut will convert a T-nut into a T-bolt very easily. I do that quite often when using hold-down clamps on my Mark V table in drill-press mode. If there isn't enough room for a jam nut, some threadlocker will do the same, but then it's harder to repurpose the hardware.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'll contact the mothership and let them know about the issue. I hadn't checked for warping as noted in another thread. Perhaps that is the problem and I need to get these replaced.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Shopsmith provided me with an RMA number. They will examine and replace and T-bolts that not properly shaped. I have to check all the pieces for sliding all the way through main table slots. I have to consider the main table slots as the standard. The T slots on the Sawsmiths and Joint-Matic are the adjustable type so can't be relied on for the fit. This may let me find a way to get all those to a standard fit.

Oh great.. <head slap> I even commented on how bad the warp was in the thread linked above. I forgot all about that. I was considering making them with a piece of flat stock and a washer. I now have a complete shaper fence made from 2 partial fences and I wanted to quickly check out mounting it using those T-Bolts.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Sent 4 jamming T-Bolts back to Shopsmith and received 4 new ones that slide through the slots without a problem. No explanation or comment on the problem units, nothing except the 4 pieces in a shipping envelope. So I don't know what was wrong with the ones that jammed. I think the position or thickness of the T protrusions was the problem but can't say for sure, don't have the problem pieces anymore. If you get any of these make sure to check them out when you get them.
Ed from Rhode Island

49chevyman
Bronze Member

Post by 49chevyman »

I recently bought a four pack of these. I had no issues with any of them fitting the T-slots on my 520 table or fence. With my mix of things I wanted to use for fixtures plus my maxi-clamp system, I decided to modify them, by pressing out the 5/16 bolt. I then drilled the center hole out and tapped it for a 3/8-16 thread. One of the other two holes, I tapped 1/4-20 and the other one 5/16-18. That way, no matter what size hold down bolt I needed, the T-nut could be used.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Might do that myself since I have plenty of these things. I should have ordered the plain nuts.
Ed from Rhode Island