New (old) Jointer on ShopSmith Power Stand

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Majones1
Gold Member

New (old) Jointer on ShopSmith Power Stand

Post by Majones1 »

I know, you all warned me. I couldn’t resist a good CL deal (I think). I lady was selling her father’s Power Stand mounted Jointer and they were in decent shape. I don’t really need a second jointer, so I will probably sell one of them, and most likely the one I just refurbished. Although the serial number is only 20,000 higher than my “old” jointer, I think the newer one is mechanically in better shape, overall, it looks like it has seen less use. Since the cutter heads are the same, I’ll probably swap with the one I just refurbished; I know it has new bearings. Still, the one I just picked up is going to require some rust removal, but it’s in a lot better condition than the other one was.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to tell the year this jointer was made from the serial number? It’s s/n is 37343.

2. What years were the SS Power Stands sold?

Here are some photos of my “new” tool:

Jointer on Power Stand, Front
Jointer on Power Stand, Front
53784704-954B-46BA-8742-72A105B3B05E.jpeg (117.3 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Jointer on Power Stand, Back
Jointer on Power Stand, Back
4E772B2E-4D13-4204-BA3F-EAFB56A5DF69.jpeg (114.03 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Jointer Name Plate and Cutter Depth Gauge
Jointer Name Plate and Cutter Depth Gauge
CF97AB25-D95C-49AE-A3B1-1CFBFA9015A1.jpeg (106.4 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Power Stand Motor
Power Stand Motor
E1EFB241-A351-4C79-9899-52B1F92DD873.jpeg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Re: New (old) Jointer on ShopSmith Power Stand

Post by DarrenDD »

October/November 1981 on the 505681 jointer.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You have a 1/2HP motor on there. That's fairly light for the joiner.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Since I already had a jointer, my primary reason for getting this was for the Power Stand. The possibility of getting a newer and less worn Jointer was a side benefit, but certainly not what drove me to pick this up. I thought $80 and a 2-hour round trip was a pretty good deal.

My plan for it was to mount one of my other SPTs on it, maybe the 6” Belt Sander, the 18” Jigsaw Model 610, or maybe the Bandsaw. Is the 1/2 HP motor adequate to drive those tools?
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

You should be fine with the belt sander and jigsaw. The bandsaw might bog down if you were cutting thick enough and hard enough wood. Even with a PowerPro cutting through 5" maple recently was tough. Was a 1/8" blade though, a bigger blade with bigger teeth may have done better.

I first used a Shopsmith joiner on my Greenie with its 3/4HP motor. Did a bunch of straightening 3/4" oak boards. No problem at that thickness but I could feel increasing resistance doing the face of wider boards. I was taking pretty minimal cuts too. When I got a 510 the power difference was very noticeable on the joiner.

I can't find where I've seen a pulley guide for the power stand, different pulley sizes are used with different tools. I recall that it didn't have a pulley size for the joiner and said the power stand shouldn't be used with the joiner. Fuzzy recollection though, I could be wrong.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:35 pm You should be fine with the belt sander and jigsaw. The bandsaw might bog down if you were cutting thick enough and hard enough wood. Even with a PowerPro cutting through 5" maple recently was tough. Was a 1/8" blade though, a bigger blade with bigger teeth may have done better.

I first used a Shopsmith joiner on my Greenie with its 3/4HP motor. Did a bunch of straightening 3/4" oak boards. No problem at that thickness but I could feel increasing resistance doing the face of wider boards. I was taking pretty minimal cuts too. When I got a 510 the power difference was very noticeable on the joiner.

I can't find where I've seen a pulley guide for the power stand, different pulley sizes are used with different tools. I recall that it didn't have a pulley size for the joiner and said the power stand shouldn't be used with the joiner. Fuzzy recollection though, I could be wrong.
SS sold the power stand with a pulley kit for the jointer. The Power Station was not recommended for the jointer because the Power Station was not capable of the RPMs that the lower shaft of the MK 5/V had.

I have my band saw an a power stand that I bought new from SS. I would have to look and see what size the motor is. There was a power stand sold for each of the SPTs available at the time. The stands were all the same. They each had a different part number because each one came with a different set of pulleys and a belt for the intended SPT. They all had the same size motor (1/2HP I think) except the stand for the planer. It had a 1 1/2HP motor. Note that the Pro Planer had a 1 3/4HP motor.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Marc,

Not much I can add here but nice buy. As John said there were different setups for the different SPTs used used on the stands. Pulley sizes are the key and below is a PDF chart for for pulley speeds.
_
Table of Speeds for Pulleys.pdf
(182.09 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
With the 1/2 HP motor the feed rate will make a difference just like using a Mark 5 Greenie compared to a newer Mark V. I have used my 4E Jointer on my Model 10ER with a 1/2 HP motor with no problem. The stock wasn't wide but it did do a very good job of putting a smooth edge on it. The stand will make a great addition for an SPT you use often so you don't have to mount and unmount it from your Mark frequently. I have two Power Stations and keep my Scroll Saw on one of them all of the time.

The Jointer was made in October 1981 By Shopsmith Inc. and note the SS in the serial number. There was a Jointer serial number 37343 made in November 1955 by Magna Engineering Corporation. Your new to you Jointer is a lot more than 20,000 units newer than your old Jointer and more like 80,000 roughly. This is a case where noting a prefix with the serial number and even who made it is important. Since Shopsmith Inc. restarted serial numbers at SS1001 when they began most Mark 5/V and SPT's repeated the serial numbers.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:51 pm SS sold the power stand with a pulley kit for the jointer. The Power Station was not recommended for the jointer because the Power Station was not capable of the RPMs that the lower shaft of the MK 5/V had.
Not sure what I saw before and probably confused the Power Station and Power Stand in this matter. The Power Station manual does have instructions for setting up the Jointer, but also warns that the fastest setting, 9 on the Power Station, is slower than normal for the jointer and
may require adjusting the feed rate. I haven't found where the pulley size is specified for each SPT on the Power Stand yet.

I do see some promotional material for the Power Stand that does not list the jointer as an option:
https://www.shopsmith.com/other-domains ... _s_new.htm
Ed from Rhode Island

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:51 pm
jsburger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:51 pm SS sold the power stand with a pulley kit for the jointer. The Power Station was not recommended for the jointer because the Power Station was not capable of the RPMs that the lower shaft of the MK 5/V had.
Not sure what I saw before and probably confused the Power Station and Power Stand in this matter. The Power Station manual does have instructions for setting up the Jointer, but also warns that the fastest setting, 9 on the Power Station, is slower than normal for the jointer and
may require adjusting the feed rate. I haven't found where the pulley size is specified for each SPT on the Power Stand yet.

I do see some promotional material for the Power Stand that does not list the jointer as an option:
https://www.shopsmith.com/other-domains ... _s_new.htm
Hmmm.. To quote from the link you provided.

"Back By Popular Demand!
Free-up your MARK V for other operations . . .
Use our Power Stand Kits to power your Shopsmith Bandsaw, Jointer or Belt Sander"

The pulley sizes are in the Power Stand manual. As I remember regardless of which stand you buy the manual is the same. The only difference is the pulley sizes. The chart in each manual is the same. It contains the sizes for all the SPTs.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:00 pm Hmmm.. To quote from the link you provided.

"Back By Popular Demand!
Free-up your MARK V for other operations . . .
Use our Power Stand Kits to power your Shopsmith Bandsaw, Jointer or Belt Sander"
Ugh. Time to magnify my screen another notch. I don't know what I thought that said before but it didn't register as "Jointer".
The pulley sizes are in the Power Stand manual. As I remember regardless of which stand you buy the manual is the same. The only difference is the pulley sizes. The chart in each manual is the same. It contains the sizes for all the SPTs.
Never seen a manual, my power stand came pre-attached to an SS bandsaw. So it leaves me wondering what speed a joiner runs on a power stand.
Ed from Rhode Island