Trouble with Trunnions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Trouble with Trunnions

Post by wa2crk »

Sorry I am getting to this discussion late. A long time ago when I bought my 510 setup I had to align my main table. The factory had their method but I had my own. I found that the left rear trunnion had a hole that was a slip fit for the bolt and provided a pivot point. I reassembled and aligned the main table to the center line of the spindle using a blade as a guide. The final alignment only took a few minutes. If the left rear trunnion hole is too large on your table then it can be shimmed using a piece of aluminum from a coke or beer can to get the proper clearance. I don't think that drilling a hole should be used at any time to achieve alignment
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:47 am Regarding regretting drilling the 3/8" hole to 1/2"; get a 3/8 x 1/2 x ? bushing/sleeve/spacer and insert it into the hole needing reduction.
I have 1/2" to 3/8" sleeves coming.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Correction - Earlier in this thread I said that the OP could swap the stop button from one trunnion to the other. That is not always true, and may be unusual when it is true. On two out of two of the rear trunnions with the 3/8" mounting holes I found that neither had all of the machining necessary to allow installation of the stop button.

I did enlarge one hole in an old style trunnion to 7/16" leaving the right one at 3/8" and pairing it with a trunnion with two 1/2" holes. I found the alignment as easy to do and more successful in this configuration. In particular, I found that the alignment held better while I was tightening the bolts compared to trunnions with all four holes at 1/2".

- David