Quill not turning

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kaynyne
Gold Member

Quill not turning

Post by kaynyne »

Please help me. I have (3) Mark V's. The oldest one I got out of an old barn and lubricated it and got it running almost like new. My problem is I went down to the shop to turn it on and the motor runs fine, but the quill doesn't. I can hold my hand on it while the motor is running. The bearing is getting almost hot to the touch. Is there a shear pin on the quill assembly, or is the bearing just worn out?
ShoptimusPrime
Gold Member

Re: Quill not turning

Post by ShoptimusPrime »

Can you turn the quill by hand at least? If you put a sanding disk on the quill hand you get it to spin? If not, sounds like your bearings might be in need of some tlc. If you can, pull your quill out carefully, and remove the center shaft and beatings and inspect them. If they sound like gravel, they're probably in need of replacement or at the least a really good degreasing and repacking with good quality grease. Easy to do.

If your quill is good, then your drive bearings will be the next thing to check. Same check, and replace/repair if needed. A few drops of sewing machine oil on the outer seal of the bearings can get them working again in a tight spot, but you should always replace a bad bearing. Safety first.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Are the two shafts at the left side of the headstock turning when the motor is running. If yes can you hold them still when the motor is running? If the two shafts have good power then I would suspect the nylon coupling sleeve that drives the quill may be a problem. It is also possible that the coupling sleeve has stripped and not transferring power efficiently. Also check for any loose or stripped set screws. The power coupling is very robust and though I have never seen a failed one it is an outside possibility. The drive system is very simple and a good tear down and inspection should reveal your problem. VXB bearings is a good place for bearings. https://www.vxb.com/
Bill V
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

garyshell,

After re-reading your post today and the response from ShoptimusPrime I have some questions and maybe some help for you. You said
My problem is I went down to the shop to turn it on and the motor runs fine, but the quill doesn't. I can hold my hand on it while the motor is running.
When you said "the motor runs fine, but the quill doesn't" does that mean the spindle in the quill doesn't turn or is it something else? A better description of the problem would be helpful. The system to get the spindle turning comes, of course, from the motor through the belts and pulleys to the Drive Sleeve Assembly and to the spindle. If the motor is running fine there could be slippage from the belts not turning the spindle. Proper tensioning of the upper belt between the Idler Assembly and the Drive Sleeve Assembly could be the culprit. Tension is adjusted by the eccentric in the Idler Assembly mounting. A quick check for the belts would be removing the belt cover to check the operation. If the pulley sheaves for the motor and/or Idler Shaft Assembly are not moving on their shafts due to lack of proper lubrication that could be a problem too. This is most commonly found while trying to change the speed. As ShoptimusPrime suggested remove the Quill Assembly from the headstock to inspect it. Does the spindle turn freely in the Quill Assembly?

Bill posted while I was writing so I recommend checking what he has suggested too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Adding to the list of possibilities: Many Gilmer drives have a clutch, so a slipping clutch is possible if the headstock is that old. And there is a common version of two-bearing quill that has a spring tension pin (aka roll pin) that could potentially shear.

- David
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It is a simple job to pull the left hand cover and see what turns and what doesn't. Check that first. That way you don't have to do all this guessing. Some years back, I broke the plastic drive inside the quill on my machine. I ordered a new one from Shopsmith and fixed it. But, first you need to pull that cover and look to see if all the belts and pulleys are turning. You don't need to pull the quill unless the problem is there.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/ite ... tem=514083
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/par ... dstock.gif
kaynyne
Gold Member

Post by kaynyne »

Thanks for all the input. I'll check all of these, this weekend. Thanks again.