For the 10ER Jigsaw. Model A-34

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Rz3dvh
Bronze Member

For the 10ER Jigsaw. Model A-34

Post by Rz3dvh »

I need some help and have several questions:

1. What is the correct length of the blade? 5” or 6”?

2. I don’t have a saber saw support (134-13), and I will need to make one. Can anybody send me the dimensions?

3. For the mounting bolt spacer:

I have read that the space is 1.5” or 2.5” long; That is impossible for my Jigsaw, its much smaller

My jigsaw has the belt cover integrated in. I am not sure how thick the mounting bolt spacer underneath the saw should be, or if no spacer is required.

Also, what is the thickness of the washer on top of the saw for the mounting bolt

Can anybody measure the thickness of the spacer for the top and the bottom?

Thanks

Neil
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: For the 10ER Jigsaw. Model A-34

Post by chapmanruss »

Neil,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. I believe I can help with your questions> I do have one for you though, do you have an Owner's Guide for it? If not here is a PDF of the earlier version below.
Jigsaw Model A-34_134-1X.pdf
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 226 times
Both versions work the same and the only difference in parts are the Lower Frame Assembly, the Housing Cover and 4 screws instead of 2 to hold the housing cover on. I have both versions which I have restored.

Here are your questions with answers.

1. What is the correct length of the blade? 5” or 6”?

5" blades are used and are the same as the Scroll Saw blades. You can also use single ended saber saw blades.

2. I don’t have a saber saw support (134-13), and I will need to make one. Can anybody send me the dimensions?

You can use it without the support but if you want one, I fabricated one out of thread stock and a hex threaded coupler. Those couplers that are like an extremely long nut. It is shown in the foreground in the picture below.

_
11 100 4 and 5c.jpg
11 100 4 and 5c.jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 743 times
It did help having an OEM one to "copy" when I made it. The hole for the Blade Guide (134-41) angles up at about 50 degrees. The post overall is 3" long with 13/16" of thread area and 2-3/16" long for the 5/8" diameter shaft. On the one I made there is an extra jam nut up against the all-thread nut to lock it in place (seen in the picture) besides the jam nut against the lower main frame to lock it.

3. For the mounting bolt spacer:

I have read that the space is 1.5” or 2.5” long; That is impossible for my Jigsaw, its much smaller

My jigsaw has the belt cover integrated in. I am not sure how thick the mounting bolt spacer underneath the saw should be, or if no spacer is required.

Also, what is the thickness of the washer on top of the saw for the mounting bolt

Can anybody measure the thickness of the spacer for the top and the bottom?

The Mounting Bolt Spacer used when the saw is mounted without the upper arm for saber saw work and is 1-1/8" long. There is no spacer used below the Lower Frame Assembly between it and the Model 10E or 10ER it is mounted on. Set screws (134-1S) and jam nuts (134-1N) adjust the space and level it. Originally there is not a washer used under the Mounting Bolt but one can be used if desired.

I hope this answers everything but if not feel free to ask more questions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: For the 10ER Jigsaw. Model A-34

Post by rpd »

You can find manuals for the early and later versions, and a lot more, at Vintage Machinery. :)
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/de ... =338&tab=3
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,