MK V Fence help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DZIN
Gold Member

MK V Fence help

Post by DZIN »

I have the upgraded fence, which is a distinct improvement. However, keeping it aligned correctly is problematic. I've read here that adjustment of the two set screws shouldn't be necessary but, that seems to be my only option each time another width is required. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: MK V Fence help

Post by wa2crk »

what model of machine do you have? The fence should align with the miter gauge slots on the main table first. This should be a repeatable setup every time the fence is moved. Thai is, the fence should remain in alignment. If the fence does not remain in alignment then the fence is moving. This problem should be corrected first. If the fence remains in alignment with the miter slot when it is moved to another spot and then back again to the original position then it is not a fence problem. Possible a table problem. or a lock problem.
Bill V
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

DZIN wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:50 am I have the upgraded fence, which is a distinct improvement. However, keeping it aligned correctly is problematic. I've read here that adjustment of the two set screws shouldn't be necessary but, that seems to be my only option each time another width is required. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I recently learned the two set screws are not for alignment. Alignment is accomplished with the two bolts underneath. When aligning the two set screws should be withdrawn such that they don't touch the table.

(The set screws are there to enable you to intentionally misalign the fence when you're using the sanding disk.)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I don't have that fence but it appears to be similar to the current bandsaw fence. To align it, you would back both setscrews out enough so that they are not in contact, completely removed is okay. The fence is aligned by loosening four socket-head screws on the bottom of the base, positioning the fence in the correct position, and tightening those four screws. The setscrews, IIUC, are only to be used to temporarily mis-align the fence for some specific operations where you don't want the fence true to the slots. You'll probably need to re-adjust the lock for the outfeed end of the fence.

There is a manual for the fence here: https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845363.pdf

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There isn't a lot more I can add to what has already been suggested. First off, do make sure the fence is properly aligned and the locks adjusted. The way the fence is held while locking it to the fence rail can make a difference. Hold the fence base firmly against the rail (pushing) while the lock is being tightened against the rail. If the fence is held against the lock (pulling) instead it can move while the lock is being engaged. I hope this makes sense. The front lock should be engaged first followed by the rear lock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DZIN
Gold Member

Post by DZIN »

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!!!
David, that PDF is a huge help.
DZIN
Gold Member

Post by DZIN »

Using the PDF David graciously posted and the excellent advice from Russ, the fence is now aligned properly. Thanks again, guys.