1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Post by JPG »

The quill spring housing is installed correctly(index/stop rib up) When you reinstall the stop ring etc. the scale should stop at 0 when the ring is rotated.

Unfortunately the domed washer is installed bass ackwards. The concave face bears against the rib while the sliding sleeve bears against the raised face(dome).

My first place to check for a cause of quill stickiness is the groove in the top in which a half dog set screw rides, The groove may have burrs or the screw may be too tight. It should be barely snugged then backed off slightly.

A rough set point for tension is to advance the quill feed shaft from no tension point about 4 full revolutions then reinstall the quill allowing the feed shaft to slowly retract the quill once engaged to the quill rack teeth.

BTW the keyed washers with a serrated face should be installed with the serrated faces against the inside and outer surfaces of the calibrated stop ring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Re: 1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Post by KCollins »

When you reinstall the stop ring etc. the scale should stop at 0 when the ring is rotated. - and it does so sweet I got it right.
Unfortunately the domed washer is installed bass ackwards.
Rats!!!! LOL... I even got proper instruction on page 2 of this thread and I still did it wrong. Good thing it's not hard to flip around.
The keyed washers with a serrated face should be installed with the serrated faces against the inside and outer surfaces of the calibrated stop ring.
I'm pretty sure I did that. I can double check it when I have things apart to flip the domed washer.

Thanks for the instructions JPG.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration