1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

Re: 1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Post by KCollins »

Thanks David. It won't get here soon enough. LOL...
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

KCollins wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:39 pm Well I went and stepped in it. LOL.... I was finally able to get the headstock lock loose and move the headstock. So I turned my attention to the Quill. Came out like a breeze. But the assembly that moves the quill is still very tight and has to be forced to move. That's when I saw the filler cap for another set screw above the depth gauge for the drill press. So I unscrewed it... 3 turns and to my horror I hear the spring unwind on the shaft. It didn't break anything but I undid something. I hope it's nothing too difficult to get back together. I tried pulling the shaft out but it is catching on something and I'm not seeing what that could be in the diagram in the owner's manual. Do I need to take that spring assembly off before I can pull that shaft out?
No, you don't have to take the spring assembly off. The shaft and spring assembly come off together. Normally you want to either relieve the tension and/or lock the tension using the depth stop. Sounds like you did not, so when you loosened that setscrew the spring unwound. Not great, but not directly related to being able to get the quill feed out. In an earlier post JPG asked if the domed washer was stuck. I'm not sure what he sees in the pic, but a stuck domed washer would indeed make removing the shaft problematic and probably explain the problem you are having.

Starting from the front of the headstock, you should have removed the quill feed handle if present, the quill lock handle, a spring washer, and a spacer or sleeve (keyed). At that point, and with that setscrew loose, the shaft is free to pull out the back. The domed washer (aka spherical washer) rides on the shaft between some headstock casting features, and won't come out until clear of the shaft. IIWM I'd probably remove the motor so you can see what's going on here. It may just be hanging up on the keyway in the shaft, in which case some wiggling should get it out. If you don't want to remove the motor, you might get your hand inside there through the inspection plate to maneuver the shaft and catch the domed washer when it falls free. I don't do it that way, so I'm not sure about that part.

- David
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Okay... Motor is off. The reason the motor is off is because I was trying to short cut everything and make it a quick fix.... When am I going to learn. Long story short I twisted and tugged on the quill shaft a little and it started to slide out. So capitalizing on my momentum I kept going. Right up until I heard something go clink and tumble down into the motor pan. I thought to myself. That sounded important. LOL... So I in order to get my hands on whatever fell I had to take the motor off. After doing so I can see how this makes things much easier. Should have done that in the first place. Why didn't you tell me to do that David??? Okay... I am going to guess this is the coveted "domed washer" everyone that is in the know speaks of.
IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG (115.12 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG (123.98 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
The washer looks pristine.

And is this bushing supposed move? Because it isn't budging. I can persuade it with a deadblow if you think that would help.
IMG_3872.JPG
IMG_3872.JPG (150.13 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Let me know your thoughts guys.

Kevin
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Found this vid... Pure gold. Huge help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1CMcMrd_s&t=396s
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Got that bushing out. That thing was in there. Is this supposed to turn when you extend the quill?
IMG_3875.JPG
IMG_3875.JPG (140 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
IMG_3876.JPG
IMG_3876.JPG (145.93 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
And then is this the location and direction the domed washer needs to be?
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG (126.83 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Yes, it should turn when you extend the quill. That's probably the problem with difficulty extending your quill. It also needs to slide in and out freely as you loosen or tighten the lock. WTH is that stuff on the outside of it? And what kind of condition is the bore that it goes into in?

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Note - The domed washer goes in opposite the way you are holding it in the last pic. Domed side should be toward the sleeve.

You'll have this thing purring like a kitten when that truck rolls up. ;)

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That "bushing" has an internal key groove that a woodruff key on the quill feed shaft rides in. The "bushing" slides in/out and when it presses against the domed washer which locks the quill position. The key causes the "bushing" to rotate with the quill feed shaft. A wave washer presses against the outer end of the "bushing" when the quill lock wingnut is tightened. The wave washer allows semi tightening of the quill position.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

DLB wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:51 pm Yes, it should turn when you extend the quill. That's probably the problem with difficulty extending your quill. It also needs to slide in and out freely as you loosen or tighten the lock. WTH is that stuff on the outside of it? And what kind of condition is the bore that it goes into in?

- David
That stuff isn't coming off either. The sawdust I'm encountering is a fine powder. Almost like MDF only it's too light for that. I think it's pine and with pine comes sappy resin that gums everything up. It's everywhere. It's almost impossible to turn the table crank on the carriage too. I'm not sure what to hit that bushing or sleeve with to get that gook off. But it is going to have to come off. I thought about a wire brush but that would scratch the hell out of it. So I'm leaning toward a Brillow pad and some Goo Off.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

DLB wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 pm Note - The domed washer goes in opposite the way you are holding it in the last pic. Domed side should be toward the sleeve.

You'll have this thing purring like a kitten when that truck rolls up. ;)

- David
Awesome David that is why I posted that pic to make sure it goes back in the way it fell out. LOL...
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510