1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

Re: 1995 Shopsmith 510 Purchase

Post by KCollins »

JPG wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:05 pm That "bushing" has an internal key groove that a woodruff key on the quill feed shaft rides in. The "bushing" slides in/out and when it presses against the domed washer which locks the quill position. The key causes the "bushing" to rotate with the quill feed shaft. A wave washer presses against the outer end of the "bushing" when the quill lock wingnut is tightened. The wave washer allows semi tightening of the quill position.
I'm with ya JPG... Now that I have it apart it's all starting to make since. That video I found was a huge help too.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

If you think it's pine sap try turpentine
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 am If you think it's pine sap try turpentine
I tried WD-40 HopefullSSer... Looks like it took it off. But it looks like it's already done its damage. What do you guys think. Should I hit it with some 500 or 1000 grit sandpaper?
IMG_3879.jpg
IMG_3879.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
IMG_3880.jpg
IMG_3880.jpg (120.9 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
IMG_3881.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg (123.39 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Was that 'stuff' on the inside bore of that part too? I assume it has to be in the headstock bore... Sounds like you're going to find it in many places.

Any abrasive may remove the black oxide coating on parts like this one that have it, and it is there for corrosion control. I'd only remove the coating as a last resort. Scotch Brite pads with the WD-40 or other solvent is worth a try. If you've removed enough of the adhesive that the part works you can use JPW to reduce friction and it may clean it up a little more. I usually wax these parts and the headstock bores, but only if I have it apart for some other reason. I do use fine abrasives on parts, just try to avoid it on black oxide.

IIIWM I'd want a solvent that works and would let me soak small parts. If you're happy with WD-40 you can get a gallon at many retailers. At least you can if you live in the country. Tractor Supply and similar carry it around here.

- David
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Well David I was looking at this part. If you refer to the picture I posted that shows it in the headstock half of it isn't even in the bore. I'm thinking I can leave it as is and just flip it so that damaged portion is the portion between the domed washer and the headstock bore. Then all I have to do is turn my attention to the headstock bore and see if I can get that cleaned up... I have a battery post cleaner that has a wire brush for the inside of the battery terminal. I thought about hitting it with some WD-40, let is soak for a little while and then hit it with the brush. Do you foresee me creating any issues doing that?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I wouldn't use a battery post cleaner brush since it is a heavier wire and could scratch the hole. Something that is okay for battery cable ends but not for holes that you want parts to be able to move in. I have used very fine foamed backed sanding pads for cleaning up holes in Model 10 headstocks but those are cast iron and not aluminum like the Mark V headstock castings. A scotchbrite pad may be less abrasive. I roll up the sanding pad and insert onto the hole to rotate it around. This is after cleaning out any "sticky" residues in the holes. The idea is to polish the hole to be clean and smooth. For yours clean out any sticky residue first then decide if it still needs polishing. This would be true for your entire Mark V 510 since the "stuff" seems to be everywhere.

When reinstalling the pinion shaft make sure the end of the quill return spring is completely engaged on the pin on the shaft. Install with the indicator mark on spring housing facing up in line with the set screw.

I know you may not get to any of this today since your Mark 7 is due anytime if it hasn't arrived already. I know you will enjoy it. It is nice to have more than one Shopsmith available for projects which can lessen the need to change setups as often.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Okay... So it was like 52 degrees yesterday and stormed into the night. Tornado's in Minnesota and rain. We had it all. Then it flash froze and everything is coated in a sheet of ice. While walking to my truck this morning (after the Mark 7 had been delivered) I slipped ass over elbows on the ice and hurt myself. LOL... Now I'm hobbling around with the worst pain in my back. However I have been able to force my way through the pain for the most part and I had used WD-40 and soaked the bore for a few hours. I used those cheap light blue paper shop towels and gave the bore a good rub. Then I put the bushing or sleeve back in the bore and it moves freely so I think I'm ready to begin waxing and reassembly. Provided I can stand my back pain long enough to do so.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I know you are excited about getting this Mark V 510 back to working condition along with setting up your new Mark 7 but consider taking it easy until your back recovers some. Having chronic back problems now has slowed me down in the shop and other aspects of life. Don't overdo it and prolong your injury. Your Shopsmith's will still be there waiting for you.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Thanks Russ. I'm going to have too... I can barely walk. Went to the doctor and had an MRI... I have a fractured pelvis. Damn it hurts. Doctor said not to baby it but not to overdo it either. So... If I feel like I can I'll get out to the garage. Otherwise I'm stuck in the house. Which sounds like zero fun in my book. I'll keep you guys posted when I can.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Sorry to hear your fall caused a fractured pelvis. I hope you can heal quickly without further issues. Putting the legs on you new Mark 7 and lifting it would probably be too much work for you at this point. Maybe some helpers to do that for you can get it assembled so you can start enjoying it. That and some easy tinkering with the 510 could help fight the boredom while recovering.
Russ

Mark V 520