OPR table repair questions/comments

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

OPR table repair questions/comments

Post by reible »

I have a table from the new OPR setup that I purchased off ebay that will be needing some repairs. I got it "as is" and while the description did not match what I got the price was good. I don't intend to ever use it on an OPR but I do want to be able to mount it like it a OPR and use it much like the OPR but minus the router part of it.

Here is a picture collection of the damage. All four corners are damaged, as is one spot along the back edge. The back edge is not pictured nor are all four corners but it will give you some idea as to how it looks.

[ATTACH]2973[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2974[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2975[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2976[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2977[/ATTACH]

My first thought was to use the old OPR I have and take the damage off as needed with a router bit then fix that with epoxy. I've done that sort of thing before. My second though was to take it to the table saw and trim off the damaged areas and put some wood trim along the raw edges...

Well maybe someone has a better idea or has a preference to how they might do it... so lets here what you have to say.

Ed
Attachments
not so bad corner.jpg
not so bad corner.jpg (348.22 KiB) Viewed 9108 times
not so good corner.jpg
not so good corner.jpg (296.14 KiB) Viewed 9096 times
the best corner.jpg
the best corner.jpg (379.61 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
ouch 1.jpg
ouch 1.jpg (365.25 KiB) Viewed 9087 times
ouch at a different angle.jpg
ouch at a different angle.jpg (402.19 KiB) Viewed 9080 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Ed,
You may want to ask help from the Friendly Elf whose feet are in one of the pictures....

I gravitate toward an epoxy fix. This past year I have been trying out various epoxies including J-B Weld for numerous handyman jobs. They fascinate me, but as yet I don't have a very structured plan for which epoxy does which types of jobs the best.
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

OPR Table Repair

Post by dusty »

As stated, you could repair the damaged areas using epoxy but that will not deal with the damage to the edge material (looks like a venier tape that was probably heat sensitive).

To make all four sides the same, I would trim the table as necessary to eliminate the damaged edges and then apply a hard wood trim all the way around; making it as thick as necessary to get back to the desired overall dimension.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Ed,
I agree with Dusty. Cut all four edges well back and trim with some hard maple. I think you would end up with a far more durable table. I appreciate all the photos you post and all the neat jigs you present.
ldh
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Ed,

Or should we call you Al ?: Like Chris, I enjoyed your slippers. :D

BTW, just as an alternate idea; a little bondo, a little sanding...
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The slippers have a story. My wife got them for her Dad, (now 93) a few years back. He didn't like them so I got them. This winter I finally put them on and since we keep the house at 64 degrees in the winter they feel really warm... so I'm happy. I do have two flannel shirts but I dress in hooded sweatshirts most of the winter. Got to save that money to buy tools ya know.

Now keep the ideas coming in, so far it is about a tie between a patch job and a cut and glue job.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I'd treat the table just like Dusty said. Saw off the edges to make it again a rectangle, then apply some hardwood edges.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:The slippers have a story. My wife got them for her Dad, (now 93) a few years back. He didn't like them so I got them. This winter I finally put them on and since we keep the house at 64 degrees in the winter they feel really warm... so I'm happy. I do have two flannel shirts but I dress in hooded sweatshirts most of the winter. Got to save that money to buy tools ya know.

Now keep the ideas coming in, so far it is about a tie between a patch job and a cut and glue job.

Ed
Reible
64!!!!! That is the temp where we turn our heat on!!!! I guess living in 94 degree temps thins your blood out, but at 64 I start to lock up.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Reible
64!!!!! That is the temp where we turn our heat on!!!! I guess living in 94 degree temps thins your blood out, but at 64 I start to lock up.
I trade my t shirt for a long sleeve henley and my shorts for long pants at about 64 degrees.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.