502659 Fillister Head Screw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

adrianpglover
Gold Member

502659 Fillister Head Screw

Post by adrianpglover »

This weekend I picked up what appears to be a lightly used SS bandsaw of the 2013 vintage for a decent price from a nice gentleman outside of San Antonio. No blades, but those are on order. I also have ordered the set screw that sets the 0 degree stop on the table. I did a complete tear down of the tool last night and as I was cleaning each part and putting it back together I found that I was missing both the 502574 Guide Adjusting Knobs and both of the 502659 Fillister Head Screws. SS shows that each of these parts has a fairly steep price of $4.95. I can understand that on a single, one off part, but on a screw?

The parts listing states that 502659 is a Fillister Head Screw, 10-24 x 1-1/4", so I know what size I need. Is there anything special about this part or can I just go pick one up at Grainger, Fastenal, Amazon, etc? I've found quite a few places where I can get at least 2 for much less than $10 + s/h, and possibly in stock since I live outside of Houston.

A little more on the bandsaw - The labels are faded, likely from UV exposure. A piece of steel was secured to the upper right corner of the plastic cover, likely as an attachment point for a magnetic lamp. The upper guard and table insert have gouges in them that look like someone ran the saw while trying to back a work piece out aggressively. The guide blocks and at least one of the backup bearings have little to no wear on them, which tells me that the saw wasn't properly adjusted. The man I purchased it from had gotten it as a package deal with a Mark 7 and already had a bandsaw so was selling the extra off. I think the original owner got upset with the performance of a tool that they had failed to properly align and maintain and just stopped using it shortly after getting it. In any case, I feel confident that I can get it working correctly, so long as I can get all of the small pieces I need for it.

So, can I just order these screws from anywhere or is the fillister head shape slightly different on each variant on the market, thus forcing me to purchase the one from SS?
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 502659 Fillister Head Screw

Post by JPG »

Fillister head screws are only unique in the shape of the head of which fillister is a standard.

Anybody's screws should suffice.

I agree it should be able to be gotten to operate well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I believe they are standard. A while back SS raised all of their hardware prices to the current minimum of $4.95, so their price doesn't suggest anything special. The slotted head on my sample here measured 0.299" diameter, Fastenal spec reflects a range of 0.292 - 0.313". I'd suggest a Nylok or nylon patch version if you can find it, otherwise a bit of thread locker should work.

Edit - I'd also only use stainless steel for this.

- David
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

Most of the ones I've seen listed in this size and length online have been stainless steel only versions. I agree for the corrosion resistance alone on something that will likely get a lot of "wet" wood hitting it.

What about the knob? Is this basically a knurled nut that travels up and down the fillister head screw and the screw is sunk in place with thread locker so that the screw doesn't move at all? If so, I may try my luck at a hardware store to get a knurled nut that happens to have just the right size flange on it to engage with the guide block adjuster.

Also, thanks for the quick replies. Greatly appreciated that there are forums like this with dedicated users responding to questions.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

adrianpglover wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:16 am Most of the ones I've seen listed in this size and length online have been stainless steel only versions. I agree for the corrosion resistance alone on something that will likely get a lot of "wet" wood hitting it.

What about the knob? Is this basically a knurled nut that travels up and down the fillister head screw and the screw is sunk in place with thread locker so that the screw doesn't move at all? If so, I may try my luck at a hardware store to get a knurled nut that happens to have just the right size flange on it to engage with the guide block adjuster.

Also, thanks for the quick replies. Greatly appreciated that there are forums like this with dedicated users responding to questions.
I think finding the knob will be a challenge, but there's nothing wrong with trying. And I can't answer your other question. One of mine works as you described. The other screws in and out, behaves more like the screw and nut work together as a stud. I'll look for an instruction. There's probably a thread on the installation. But jpg probably knows and likely wrote the thread.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Guide Adjusting Knobs reference numbers 81 & 103 (P/N 502574) would likely be hard to find from other sources. It is a very specific item and its diameter with the groove in it to move the Upper and Lower Guide Blocks in and out makes it very specialized. Shopsmith either has it made specifically for the Bandsaw or has found a supplier that has it as a stock item which is less likely since it has been the same since the Bandsaws introduction in 1955. The Filister Head Screw, 10-24x1-1/4” reference number 82 & 104 (P/N 502659) may be found from other suppliers but does need to have a head that fits inside the Guide Adjusting Knob. The Guide Adjusting Knob moves in and out on the threads of the Filister Head Screw.

As David said,
A while back SS raised all of their hardware prices to the current minimum of $4.95, so their price doesn't suggest anything special.
There is truth in that statement. My guess is that since it costs money for Shopsmith to make or buy, stock, inventory, and ship parts out to customers they decided to set a base price for parts. We know we can get a simple set screw used on a Shopsmith part for much less than $4.95 but I guess they figure it is their cost of doing business.

If you cannot find a Filister Head Screw with a head diameter small enough to fit inside the Guide Adjusting Knob a set screw of the same size could work as a replacement. The purpose of the Filister Head Screw is to provide a threaded shaft for the Guide Adjusting Knob to move on. The only thing the screw head does is limit the knob from going off the end of the screw but the Guide Block Brackets (ref. #'s 75 & 99) going against the Upper or Lower Guide Blocks (ref. #'s 80 & 108) would also provide that travel limit. If using a set screw as a substitute I would use a thread locker to keep it in position in the Upper and Lower Guide Blocks. I have not tried this option since none of the Bandsaws I have owned were missing the Filister Head Screws.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not 'guilty' on both accounts. :D

A 'cap screw' may work(I have not checked dimensions).

Hardware stuff used to be 0.82 before for decades!

Way back when 'SS" used descriptions and suggested local sourcing. Why on earth was that changed???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

JPG wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:35 pm Not 'guilty' on both accounts. :D

A 'cap screw' may work(I have not checked dimensions).

Hardware stuff used to be 0.82 before for decades!

Way back when 'SS" used descriptions and suggested local sourcing. Why on earth was that changed???
That would be helpful and it's a shame they don't do it. My greenie was missing one leg screw. I could have just gotten something locally but I was ordering from SS anyway so bit the bullet and bought one. I figured yes, it was expensive, but where else am I going to find one matching slotted oval-head screw? If I found them at all I'd probably have to buy 25 and it would cost the same as one from SS.

They shipped me one Phillips pan-head screw. :mad: Could have gotten the same thing in town for less than $1.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

adrianpglover wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:52 am ... A piece of steel was secured to the upper right corner of the plastic cover, likely as an attachment point for a magnetic lamp...
I think I remember seeing this BS on CL when the guy was selling the M7. The thing in the corner of the cover looked like a magnetic 90 degree welding clamp. I kind of figured he had dropped it and cracked the cover. It didn't occur to me that it might be for a magnet. You should post a picture of this.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

HopefulSSer,

It is not surprising they shipped you the Phillips pan head screw instead of a slotted oval head screw. There have been many changes made over the years to the Mark 5/V so using the current part number for an item will get you the current part type being used. In your case you had to look up the current part number for your Mark 5's "Greenie's" part (original P/N P6315) as all part numbers change in 1964. Part number 120655 was for the slotted oval head screw after the part numbers changed in 1964 while part number 518114 is for the Phillips Pan head screw currently in use. Looking at the Mark V's I have owned that change occurred sometime between 1982 and 1991.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.