502659 Fillister Head Screw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: 502659 Fillister Head Screw

Post by HopefulSSer »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 pm HopefulSSer,

It is not surprising they shipped you the Phillips pan head screw instead of a slotted oval head screw. There have been many changes made over the years to the Mark 5/V so using the current part number for an item will get you the current part type being used. In your case you had to look up the current part number for your Mark 5's "Greenie's" part (original P/N P6315) as all part numbers change in 1964. Part number 120655 was for the slotted oval head screw after the part numbers changed in 1964 while part number 518114 is for the Phillips Pan head screw currently in use. Looking at the Mark V's I have owned that change occurred sometime between 1982 and 1991.
Thanks! I'll file that part number away. If/when I place another order maybe I'll order one. Assuming they still have any.... ;)
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

DLB wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:14 pm
adrianpglover wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:52 am ... A piece of steel was secured to the upper right corner of the plastic cover, likely as an attachment point for a magnetic lamp...
I think I remember seeing this BS on CL when the guy was selling the M7. The thing in the corner of the cover looked like a magnetic 90 degree welding clamp. I kind of figured he had dropped it and cracked the cover. It didn't occur to me that it might be for a magnet. You should post a picture of this.

- David
Yep. That's the one. Looks like a red arrow pointing to the corner. Nothing at all wrong with the plastic itself though.

So after a day of searching online and at the local hardware stores I find that I can find a #10-32 set screw for cheaper than I can get the fillister head screw through SS, but not a #10-24 of the right length, and since the parts breakdown calls for a #10-24 thread...going to order it from SS instead. I did find a few places online where I could get the fillister head screw for cheap, but the shipping ended up being comparable. Either that or I'd have to get a box of 20, 25, or 100. Since I'm not likely to use them again, I'll just get the correct part ordered from SS instead.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

adrianpglover wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:04 am So after a day of searching online and at the local hardware stores I find that I can find a #10-32 set screw for cheaper than I can get the fillister head screw through SS, but not a #10-24 of the right length, and since the parts breakdown calls for a #10-24 thread...going to order it from SS instead. I did find a few places online where I could get the fillister head screw for cheap, but the shipping ended up being comparable. Either that or I'd have to get a box of 20, 25, or 100. Since I'm not likely to use them again, I'll just get the correct part ordered from SS instead.
I don't know how they are in other areas, but in my area Fastenal stores are about as plentiful as Walmarts. Their store pickup option avoids the vast majority of shipping$, most of my orders cost less than a quarter in shipping. Also most of those multi-purpose electrical tools that have wire strippers, crimpers, etc. have a feature for cutting small diameter machine screws like this to size. They fit a few sizes, everyone I've seen includes both #10 thread pitches among them. They cut pretty clean and are designed to repair the threads near the cut upon removal of the screw.

But if you get the screws from SS and they come with the thread lock feature, please let us know what that is. I've been wondering since Russ posted above. One of mine turns really easy where it is not supposed to.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I just removed one of the Filister screws out of a 2006 Bandsaw, the newest one I have, and it has the "glob" of "stuff" on the threads near the end to help keep it in place in the Guide Block. Checking my 1956 Greenie Bandsaw it doesn't have anything on the threads to "lock" it into the Guide Block.

Now I do have another thought for an option. Use a standard slotted head screw of the same size 10-24 x 1-1/4" and grind the head down to a smaller diameter to fit inside the Guide Adjusting Knob. A third option would be to use a longer screw, so the head remains outside the Guide Adjusting Knob through its entire range moving the guides in and out for the different blade widths.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

adrianpglover wrote: . . .

So after a day of searching online and at the local hardware stores I find that I can find a #10-32 set screw for cheaper than I can get the fillister head screw through SS, but not a #10-24 of the right length, and since the parts breakdown calls for a #10-24 thread...going to order it from SS instead. I did find a few places online where I could get the fillister head screw for cheap, but the shipping ended up being comparable. Either that or I'd have to get a box of 20, 25, or 100. Since I'm not likely to use them again, I'll just get the correct part ordered from SS instead.
FWIW look for 3/16-24 instead of 10-24. They be the same!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

HopefulSSer,

Filing away part number 120655 for the slotted oval head screw used to attach the legs on your Greenie won't help in ordering the part since Shopsmith no longer sells it. You may be able to find a Phillips oval head screw as a replacement. I did that with a Greenie I restored that was missing leg screws. If you do put it on the back side where it will be less noticeable.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

I went ahead and placed the order for all of these parts this morning. Also ordered another upper hub, a longer T-handle 5/32" allen, and the correct knurled knob for the front of the bandsaw table instead of the washer and wing nut I had placed on there previously. I did check out Fastenal, since they're just down the road from my house, but between them only being open from 11-1 M-F and charging almost $9 in shipping to get the part from their warehouse to the brick and mortar store, it was about the same as getting it from SS.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

DLB wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:14 pm
adrianpglover wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:52 am ... A piece of steel was secured to the upper right corner of the plastic cover, likely as an attachment point for a magnetic lamp...
I think I remember seeing this BS on CL when the guy was selling the M7. The thing in the corner of the cover looked like a magnetic 90 degree welding clamp. I kind of figured he had dropped it and cracked the cover. It didn't occur to me that it might be for a magnet. You should post a picture of this.

- David
I just looked up the welding clamp that you mentioned and it does look like it's at least half of one. Here are some images of the bandsaw overall, the metal plate, and the inside of the cover where the plate is placed. I don't currently have a magnetic lamp to go here, but this would make it easy to add later. I did remove the auxiliary fence and plan to add it back on the rear side, but if it moves too much I may nix that idea and do something else instead. A prior owner had mounted the aux fence rail across the front by drilling holes through the table, mounting 1/2" angle iron, and then mounted the rail to the angle iron. However, to change blades you had to remove the fence rail.

I am also still waiting on a few items to come in for the bandsaw - 0 degree set screw, guide adjustment screws and nuts, etc.
20220111_131405_HDR.jpg
20220111_131405_HDR.jpg (157.99 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
20220111_131515_HDR.jpg
20220111_131515_HDR.jpg (189.61 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
20220111_130938.jpg
20220111_130938.jpg (94.97 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
20220111_131735_HDR.jpg
20220111_131735_HDR.jpg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Now that you mention it... IIRC in the CL ad there was evidence of both a Kreg fence rail and a SS fence rail. Which is unusual in itself. But I don't recall seeing either fence. I don't have a Kreg, but I think it mounts on the infeed end. The SS rail mounts on the outfeed end but the fence clamps on both, at least the version I have.

It looks like it is in otherwise great condition. It must have gotten separated from a bag o' parts somewhere along the line. The carriage bolt and wingnut that you remove for blade change is also a bit non-standard as far as I know, but probably functional. I preferred the knobs for holding the cover on but the screws are standard now. And a knob might interfere with the light mounting plate. ;)

- David
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

I have the Kreg fence rail and it's rather heavy. When I had mounted on the infeed of the table it felt like it was flexing the table. Even mounted on the rear it has some flex inherent in it. I'm not so sure that I like the setup of this fence all that much. I'd much rather have the SS one, but I think the guy I bought the BS from decided to keep it for himself. As for the carriage bolt and wingnut, yeah, it was missing so that's from my parts bins. I've got the original knob on order, but the parts diagram calls for a normal carriage bolt in any case. Knobs would be nice for the cover, but the ones I have in a coffee tin don't have matching threads.