Mark 5 electric short

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

brbdogsonfire
Bronze Member

Mark 5 electric short

Post by brbdogsonfire »

I have a mark 5 that I purchased in which the switch was bad. The machine would run for a few seconds and turn off. I replaced the switch and the switch works and the machine runs until I put the motor back in the case with the switch connected to the headstock. The unit now causes the breaker to flip even if belts are not attached.

So it runs fine until the switch is attached to the headstock. It runs with or without the belts attached, and runs with the belts if the switch is not connected to the headstock.

Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you correct the short?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 5 electric short

Post by JPG »

If you have an ohmmeter or an idiot light(continuity tester) see if a switch terminal is shorted to the mounting threads.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 5 electric short

Post by DLB »

brbdogsonfire wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:39 pm I have a mark 5 that I purchased in which the switch was bad. The machine would run for a few seconds and turn off. I replaced the switch and the switch works and the machine runs until I put the motor back in the case with the switch connected to the headstock. The unit now causes the breaker to flip even if belts are not attached.

So it runs fine until the switch is attached to the headstock. It runs with or without the belts attached, and runs with the belts if the switch is not connected to the headstock.

Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you correct the short?
Possibly a short inside the switch, most likely between hot and switch chassis.(?) I think that is only possible on "A" or "B" headstocks with the toggle switch. That could result in the symptoms you describe, but could be dangerous to use the switch uninstalled. Please clarify headstock version, whether it is grounded, and where it is grounded if known. Also if it is a standard circuit breaker that is tripping, as opposed to Ground Fault and/or Arc Fault types.

(In a typical Mark 5/V the power cord ground is directly connected to the motor, so the rest of the machine is grounded when the motor in in the pan and the pan is installed. But early models weren't grounded, so there are multiple grounding schemes possible.)

- David