Start trips breaker

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Dingo76
Bronze Member

Start trips breaker

Post by Dingo76 »

I just acquired a SS that sat idle fir 15 years.
When I flip the start switch the motor attempts to spin but trips the 20Amp breaker. With drive belt removed the motor spins freely every time with no problem.

What are the first things I should look into?
Thx
D
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Start trips breaker

Post by br549 »

Welcome, and good first step in checking the motor with the drive belt removed.

Where is the speed control set? If it is set to anything above the lower end of the speed range, that may be the problem. If you need to lower the speed setting, put on the sanding disk and manually spin the sanding disk while slowly turning the speed control to "Slow". Never try to turn the speed control without the sheaves moving.

There may be other possibilities too such as frozen bearings or stuck sheaves ... I'm sure others will chime in who have more experience than me in this area.

If you haven't already done so, there are several excellent posts at the top of this Maintenance and Repair forum with valuable tips for owners new to their Shopsmith.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Also are you starting it with an extension cord attached?

Since it appears to try to start, I would suspect the start switch(the start capacitor rarely causes this).

Before digging into the motor, hit the motor pan a few times so as to hopefully dislodge any debris that is preventing the start switch contacts from making.

Finally do NOT make repeated attempts without a cooling off period in between. There are NO thermal interrupters and the run windings heat up very quickly if the armature is not rotating near normal speed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Dingo76 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm I just acquired a SS that sat idle fir 15 years.
When I flip the start switch the motor attempts to spin but trips the 20Amp breaker. With drive belt removed the motor spins freely every time with no problem.

What are the first things I should look into?
Thx
D
No matter where the speed control is set, you ought to be able to turn the shaft (the sheaves) to determine if the drive system is frozen. Depending on where the speed control is set, turning the shaft by hand can be difficult. Mount a sanding disk and use it to turn the shaft. While turning the sanding disk (shaft), move the speed control to SLOW.

After setting for that long without being used, the belts are probably very stiff. Turning everything as has been described may loosen them some but I recommend getting new belts.

Having done this without difficulty, consider blowing out the headstock (remove belt cover on left side of headstock) and then lubrication per the procedures in your manual.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

If anyone has moved the speed adjustment with the shafts not turning, it is possible that the lower belt is simply pinched between the Idler sheaves. If this is the case, moving toward a higher speed should free it. Then manually adjust to a slow speed as described above, with shafts turning.

There are many unknowns when it's been sitting so long. Best indicator is how hard it is to turn by hand. If it is hard to adjust the speed control that is a different problem, don't force it.

- David
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

The first thing to do after 15 years is to lubricate it according to instructions. You'll need to do that anyway, whether it fixes the problem or not, so you might as well try that first. I can recommend the Zoom Spout Oiler, which can reach the two oil holes. You can get at a local Ace or other places for about $4-$5
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Clean up the inside and lubricate it. Wax the way tubes and tables. Then do the alignments.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dingo76,

You said,
With drive belt removed the motor spins freely every time with no problem.
Now is this turning by hand or with power? If working okay under power than look for problems on the rest of the system. As has already been said maintenance may be needed. Clean sawdust and/or debris out of the headstock. Oiling the motor and Idler sheaves may help and should be done anyway at this point.

Let me ask did you get a manual with it? If not check the link below. At the bottom of the page are Summary Manuals for the Mark 7, Mark V 520, Mark V 510/505 and Mark V 500. Choose the one for your Shopsmith Mark V model. If you're not sure of your model any of the Mark V Summary Manuals will have the same maintenance for the conventional Headstock. The difference between the Mark V models is the table system and related items. A full Owner's Manual would be a good item to have and are available for purchase here on the Shopsmith website.

https://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/index.htm

Other things to check while the motor belt is removed would be how does the spindle turn. This will check to see if the bearings need to be replaced in the Quill Assembly, Drive Sleeve Assembly or Idler Shaft Assembly. With a sanding disk attached to the spindle, does the spindle turn freely? You will see the upper and lower shaft turn at the belt end also. If the Quill and Drive Sleeve Assemblies along with the Idler Shaft Assembly are turning freely than the bearings are okay.

Again, with the motor belt removed or out of the way does the Speed Dial turn freely and move the sheave on the Idler shaft pulley in and out. A word of WARNING here - KEEP THE BELT OUT OF THE IDLER PULLEY WHILE DOING THIS. You do not want to let the belt wedge in the pulley while checking this. If resistance is felt, do not force it. It may be the Idler shaft Pulley Sheave need more lubrication or simply the oil worked in, or it could be a problem with the gear/teeth on the Speed Control Assembly.

At this point try the suggestions and get back to us with what you find. We are here to help and glad to do so. Let's get your new to you Shopsmith running in top condition.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Dingo76
Bronze Member

Post by Dingo76 »

Thx fir the responses
I have lubricated the holes as per manual
By hand it turns Smoothly
Plugged in, turned on it trips the breaker after 1/4 turn
With lower belt removed, the motor starts and spins every time
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What else goes off when the breaker trips?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange