Drive Sleeve Pulley Slipping

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DavidMcM
Gold Member

Drive Sleeve Pulley Slipping

Post by DavidMcM »

I just bought a used Model 510 (1991). The poly v-belt drive pulley is slipping when I put one hand on the floating sheeve to keep it from turning and rotate the quill spindle by hand. Note, the belt is not slipping, the pulley is slipping on the shaft. See photo below. The drive sleeve is part #511546 per the manual and I think all parts are original. Is there a set screw hidden under the belt that I need to tighten or is something else going on? I also noticed that there is a newer part number for the drive sleeve (part #518145). Is the newer model any better and should I consider purchasing it?

pulley.png
pulley.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1040 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Drive Sleeve Pulley Slipping

Post by dusty »

DavidMcM wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:12 pm I just bought a used Model 510 (1991). The poly v-belt drive pulley is slipping when I put one hand on the floating sheeve to keep it from turning and rotate the quill spindle by hand. Note, the belt is not slipping, the pulley is slipping on the shaft. See photo below. The drive sleeve is part #511546 per the manual and I think all parts are original. Is there a set screw hidden under the belt that I need to tighten or is something else going on? I also noticed that there is a newer part number for the drive sleeve (part #518145). Is the newer model any better and should I consider purchasing it?

pulley.png

What I have to look at is clearly a different vintage than yours but it is an idler shaft for a Mark V Model 510/520. There are no set screws; therrefore I conclude that the shaft to pulley is a press fit.
20220116_115229.jpg
20220116_115229.jpg (355.59 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

There is a set screw as shown in the picture below. The Drive Sleeve Assembly will have to be removed to get to it.

_
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V.jpg
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:01 pm There is a set screw as shown in the picture below. The Drive Sleeve Assembly will have to be removed to get to it.

_
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Poly V.jpg
Live and learn. We clearly have two different vintage drive shaft assemblies. No, the set screw is not located on the side of the pulley not shown. :rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DavidMcM
Gold Member

Post by DavidMcM »

Thanks for your responses. Dusty, is your drive sleeve assembly without the set screw a newer model? If so, I wonder if I have to pull the drive sleeve out anyhow if I should switch to the press fit version so I don't have to worry about the set screw loosening in the future? Wouldn't be a big issue if the set screw wasn't so hard to get to.
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

deleted
Last edited by rogersk on Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DavidMcM wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:13 pm Thanks for your responses. Dusty, is your drive sleeve assembly without the set screw a newer model? If so, I wonder if I have to pull the drive sleeve out anyhow if I should switch to the press fit version so I don't have to worry about the set screw loosening in the future? Wouldn't be a big issue if the set screw wasn't so hard to get to.
I can't tell you exactly how new a unit it is. I have had it for about 6 years.

However, I would not upgrade just because of a loose set screw. Break it down, put in a NEW sst screw and prepare to make sawdust.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DavidMcM
Gold Member

Post by DavidMcM »

Thanks to everyone for your responses, they have been very helpful. I will tear it down and see if I can tighten the set screw.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dusty's picture is a different vintage of Drive Sleeve than the one in the picture I posted and I don't recall its vintage.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.