BS table leveling plate.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

BS table leveling plate.

Post by beeg »

I'm unable to loosen the button head screws on my cast iron table, so I can change blades. Don't know if I tightened it to much last change or if it's corroded? Any thoughts?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
garys
Platinum Member

Re: BS table leveling plate.

Post by garys »

I learned something today. I didn't know those were screws under there. Mine was assembled when new 41 years ago with the screws so loose that the hook between them vibrates open when the saw runs, and since that isn't a problem, I never looked into making them tighter. I think I'll just leave them that way. If it worked this well for 41 years, it should work a long time this way.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Use a new 4mm hex wrench fully inserted and apply rotation with leverage. Or get a hammer blow impact wrench from HF.

EDIT: fergit the 4mm suggestion. The screws are 3/16, not 5/32 (pointed out below) :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Get an Apex bit holder with the proper sized short hex bit. The SS tool kit is too long and has too much spring.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Apex-Hold ... pex+Holder

I was trying to remove the blades from a friends Pro Planer. The SS allen wrench just twisted without turning the screws. I got out an Apex holder with a hex bit and a 1/4" ratchet and they popped loose with very little force.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I didn't try a 4mm hex. Mine takes 3/16" hex wrench to turn the screws.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well 4mm obviously will NOT work!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I haven't had this particular problem, but I have used Allen hex sockets with a socket wrench for extra leverage on stubborn set screws when restoring Shopsmith's, mostly Model 10's. Just make sure the hex opening is clear of any debris so you can seat the Allen end in the screw all the way.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

I'd say hit it with some penetrating oil to try and free it up. I personally use PB Blaster mostly now, but I've heard about others that may work better. Spray some on and let it soak for a bit. If a fastener won't come lose right away I don't put much extra force on it. Don't want to snap the head off.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Trouble is, they're in upside down, hard for the penetrating oil to work it's way under the screw heads. Maybe tilt the table 45° so it can run under the tilted screw head and use a bit of paper towel to keep it on the screw. And as noted above, these need a 3/16" hex key, not the standard 'toolbox'. I have one of those magnetic trays on the headstock now as seen in forum thread somewhere, it's holding both sizes of hex key.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
adrianpglover
Gold Member

Post by adrianpglover »

You could take the bandsaw off the Mark, turn it upside down, and lean it against a wall for the penetrating oil to work.
Mark 7 (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 12" planer (new 2020 - pre-COVID) | 11" bandsaw | 4" jointer
Grizzly G1023RLWX (new 2013) | Grizzly G0583Z (new 2012) | DeWALT DW618PK
Oneida Dust Deputy (on 5g bucket bolted to a 10g oil drum, used only with planer & jointer)