520 RAIL THUMBSCREW SIZE?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

520 RAIL THUMBSCREW SIZE?

Post by JPG »

3/16 - ???

1/4 - ???

TIA
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Re: 520 RAIL THUMBSCREW SIZE?

Post by reible »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GO ... =UTF8&th=1

I believe these are the ones I ordered for my rails.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The OEM version is similar, but 1/4-20 X 3/4".

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

JOINT MATIC "GIBB"

Post by JPG »

Reason I asked is: it is the same part as is used on the joint matic slide securing the upper adjuster nut.

Now I need to know what it is threaded into. I assume it is the "gibb" part that is 1/8 x 3/8 x about 3/4?(guess from notch it fits into)

Can anyone verify that and/or the dimensions as well?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

On my jointmatic, the knob threads into a brass insert molded into the slide. The gib is just a flat piece of steel, about 1/16 x 11/32 x ?. I would need to disassemble it to see how long the gib is, but it is at least 1/8" from the top of the slot. I don't think the size is critical, just something for the knob to apply pressure.
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

First let me clarify the use of the above mentioned fastener. I needed one and paid the $4.95 only to get a star type fastener, not like the version I had hoped to get. That star was not comfortable for me to use and well it didn't look like the others.....

I was able to find one with the same grip but they are a flat style. I then added a 1/4" spacer to give me what I wanted. You can see it here:
tss1.jpg
tss1.jpg (115.49 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Now on to what JPG ask about. On mine it is a threaded insert:
tss2.jpg
tss2.jpg (171.97 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Mine has been repaired but it looks like that part has not be affected so I believe it is original. Now there may be other vintages which are different??

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank you both!

Ed that explains he striations in the hole where mine is broken. That had me confused.

So threads in the slide. The knob/screw then presses against a flat piece that applies pressure to (likely both) the adjuster(top) and whatever the lower one is called.

I think that answers all I need to ask so a plan of action is forming.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

JPG
Platinum Member

New joint matic mystery

Post by JPG »

My joint matic does not exactly match the manual that I previously copied off line.

Going through the hardware and I have two thin 3/8" flat washers that are not in the parts drawing.

I am guessing they go above and below the 3/8" nylon washer between the bottom of the top and the nut/jam nut.

Can anyone verify/confirm/set me straight?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

That is how mine is.

Checking the parts list it shows only the number 19 nylon washer, perhaps the other washers were added at another time??? Manual 555458 10/6/1992.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thanks Ed. Just as a matter of curiosity/fer the record, does yours have the two rails(12) or the large spacer between the four lockwashers(7) connected to slide with four screws(8).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝