If I were to stock up on some parts.......

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

If I were to stock up on some parts.......

Post by cincinnati »

What are the must haves? I started with the 17 most popular parts. What else?

Is the drill chuck something exclusive to Shopsmith?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

cincinnati wrote:What are the must haves? I started with the 17 most popular parts. What else?

Is the drill chuck something exclusive to Shopsmith?
That is a very good question. I have been doing some research, and so far I can knot find any chucks that do knot have either a tapered or a threaded hole for the spindle. I am awaiting another response from Jacob's Chuck; they asked for pictures. My original request to Jacob's was if they had a keyless chuck available. So far, they act like I am nuts to think that my spindle is knot tapered and knot threaded. That is why they requested pictures. They have been closed for two weeks, but I expect an answer sometime this week.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

You can never have enough saw arbors, including the arbor for std sawblades with 5/8" hole, planer and jointer knives, planer outfeed roller, , machine and SPT covers, conical sandpaper disks, "T" nuts, feather boards, table inserts, DC3300 bags (might also include an upgraded hood), adjustable stop collar, bandsaw tires, dado/molder arbor..........the list could go on and on.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Not to indulge in a parts-shortage scare frenzy, but:

There are some specific bearing assemblies not friendly to generic home or shop replacement. The Mark V idler-shaft and Bandsaw driven-wheel bearings (I've heard) are assemblies you pretty much have to replace if their bearings go bad. But with regular maintenance and keeping the sawdust out of them, they can last a long long time.

Myself I decided to get extra planer knives lately....
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

"panic" parts

Post by JPG »

I am not going to say what I would stock up on as I already have.

A good starting point is "The 17 Most Frequently Ordered Mark V Service Parts"!

Check threads on this forum for "things" which become problems.

I do not at this time see a need to stock pile. I was SO relieved to 'discover' SS Inc. was still around when I needed replacement parts. I was then only aware that Magna American was defunct for the past few decades. Thought I would have to 'remanufacture' what I had. Thank You Bob..RIP:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

SS Chuck

Post by JPG »

Jacobs (in their on line info) list a 3328A with a .625 mount. That just happens to be the 10ER model(works very well on mk v). This is from their "Professional keyed chuck" list.

The 'Jacobs Multicraft chuck MC8K26' is the current SS chuck, but is NOT listed in 'Multicraft' list.

So we must assume that the current multicraft SS chuck is Specially made for SS.

The 3328A is a better chuck anyway!!

There is no shortage of either of them on Ebay.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Drill Chucks

Post by billmayo »

I have a few keyless drill chucks from the Shopsmiths I buy. The last one was a keyless drill chuck with a 1/2" thread that someone used a short 5/8" arbor (non-shopsmith, but like the shaper arbor) with the 1/2" drill chuck threads and put the two together.

[quote="a1gutterman"]That is a very good question. I have been doing some research, and so far I can knot find any chucks that do knot have either a tapered or a threaded hole for the spindle. I am awaiting another response from Jacob's Chuck]
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Threaded Chuck Adapter

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:I have a few keyless drill chucks from the Shopsmiths I buy. The last one was a keyless drill chuck with a 1/2" thread that someone used a short 5/8" arbor (non-shopsmith, but like the shaper arbor) with the 1/2" drill chuck threads and put the two together.
Saw one like that on Ebay a couple of months back. I would be concerned about eccentric runout if not of GOOD quality(the adapter).:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Well, I got a response from Jacobs Chuck:
[quote]
Tim,

We currently do not make an MC8K26 or any other Multi-Craft chucks with 5/8" straight taper mount w/ set screw.
The only keyless solution that I can think of is making a very short adaptor. Take a 3/4" to 1.0" diameter bar stock and bore a 5/8" hole on one end and turn / thread the other end w/ 1/2"-20 threads. Make the adaptor about 1.5 to 2.0" long.

If you make this adaptor, then you could purchase a keyless chuck at most hardware stores or home improvement stores.

Thanks,
Mike
[/quote]

What Mike suggested sounds a lot like what Bill Mayo says that he has found on some SS's. If I get a round-2-it, I might just visit my local machine shop and see what it wood take to create this adaptor. A keyless chuck might be nice, but it is knot high on my priority list.

[quote="billmayo"]I have a few keyless drill chucks from the Shopsmiths I buy. The last one was a keyless drill chuck with a 1/2" thread that someone used a short 5/8" arbor (non-shopsmith, but like the shaper arbor) with the 1/2" drill chuck threads and put the two together.[/quote]
[/color]
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
cincinnati10
Gold Member

Post by cincinnati10 »

cincinnati wrote: Is the drill chuck something exclusive to Shopsmith?
Almost everything is exclusive to Shopsmith. The 5/8 headstock spindle with reverse tapered flat is on no other machine that I know of. Even on the machines that have a No 2 Morse taper, the chuck is threaded on or friction fit onto a taper.

I am not the all knowing machine expert. But I can't find any accessory that is standard on others machinery and which fits the SS headstock unmodified.