Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

not2shabby
Gold Member

Re: Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Post by not2shabby »

I just purchased my first SS. A '55 greenie. I have to say the bar for restoration is set immeasurably high by this thread...

Can't wait to get started!
Jason
'55 Greenie (SN 290310) - restoration in progress
Texas
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Welcome to the forum and have fun! And don't forget to post pictures!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

You will have a much fun restoring as you do woodworking. Plus you will know your machine inside and out.

Welcome to the forum, and like algale says pictures make it real! Image
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Take us along for the ride and do not be reticent re asking ?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

WOW, JPG got rid of his Amish Straw hat Avatar??? What, got it to close to some flames lighting the grill???
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:WOW, JPG got rid of his Amish Straw hat Avatar??? What, got it to close to some flames lighting the grill???
That's a Mark VII vintage logo.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

JPG wrote:
ERLover wrote:WOW, JPG got rid of his Amish Straw hat Avatar??? What, got it to close to some flames lighting the grill???
A bit fuzzy, I hope you still have the skull cover.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:
JPG wrote:
A bit fuzzy, I hope you still have the skull cover.
1300 X 1300 REDUCED TO 44 X 44 DOES END UP 'FUZZY'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

not2shabby
Gold Member

Post by not2shabby »

Perhaps mine is not a '55, as I originally thought. Or maybe it is just an earlier '55 than the one restored by Mike. Upon review of his photos, I see that his has an inspection port. Mine does not have that inspection port, but there are two small holes in that location. Was there originally another name plate on that side, but no inspection port?

I got to start to disassemble last night. I'm not really confident that I'm working with a completely original machine as the headstock has definitely been painted.

Photos are forthcoming. Is it better etiquette to start my own thread?

Thanks for the welcome!
Jason
'55 Greenie (SN 290310) - restoration in progress
Texas
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

not2shabby wrote:Perhaps mine is not a '55, as I originally thought. Or maybe it is just an earlier '55 than the one restored by Mike. Upon review of his photos, I see that his has an inspection port. Mine does not have that inspection port, but there are two small holes in that location. Was there originally another name plate on that side, but no inspection port?

I got to start to disassemble last night. I'm not really confident that I'm working with a completely original machine as the headstock has definitely been painted.

Photos are forthcoming. Is it better etiquette to start my own thread?

Thanks for the welcome!
You have an "A" sand cast headstock. I do not know when the transition to die casting was made, but 1955 seems about right. The original logo plate was secured in those two holes by two tinnerman clips.

Yes a new thread would be appropriate.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝