Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

That's OKAY mike. I didn't really want to see it anyhow.:rolleyes:

Actually, now the joke is on you. You have to either use it or put it in a display case.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

I attached this picture to see if anyone can tell me where these steel rings "officially" live on the unit and what are they for? Since all the vertical heights have locking elements already, are they intended to go on whatever your working with as a redundant system if the locking elements fail?
-
-

[ATTACH]4282[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_4843mod3.jpg
Img_4843mod3.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="tom_k/mo"]I swear, it's like dangling candy in front of a kid... ]

YES, I used the NevrDull until my wife got hold of it. Haven't seen it since!! She's in jewelry polish mode.....

For me, the NevrDull worked great at blending in color variations after wire brushing. For example, on the worktable, after brass wheel wire brushing the surface, it was not very uniform in appearance. The NevrDull took that away. I tried it on stuff that was VERY oxidized and although it improved it slightly, it didn't clean it up anywhere near the wire brushing but then, that is NOT what its made for. It's made to maintain more than restore if the surface is horrible. On silver, it works EXCELLENT removing 100% of the HEAVY tarnish with ease. The white powdery oxidation on my aluminum casting however required a more aggressive approach. I am sure though that maintaining them now that they are cleaned up will be a breeze with the NevrDull. Thanks for letting me (and the group) know about that stuff. I is definitely worth the $4.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:That's OKAY mike. I didn't really want to see it anyhow.:rolleyes:

Actually, now the joke is on you. You have to either use it or put it in a display case.

I guarantee that you all will see the finished product before it sees a speck of sawdust and then, I am going to USE IT, USE IT, USE IT. If it trashes all my hard work, that's ok. At least I had the experience and satisfaction of bringing her back to life. VERY rewarding.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:I attached this picture to see if anyone can tell me where these steel rings "officially" live on the unit and what are they for? Since all the vertical heights have locking elements already, are they intended to go on whatever your working with as a redundant system if the locking elements fail?
-
-

[ATTACH]4282[/ATTACH]
Used for any mounted accessory that need to be set at the correct height for ease of setup (jointer, bandsaw, extension fence, etc).
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:I attached this picture to see if anyone can tell me where these steel rings "officially" live on the unit and what are they for? Since all the vertical heights have locking elements already, are they intended to go on whatever your working with as a redundant system if the locking elements fail?
-
-

[ATTACH]4282[/ATTACH]
The intended purpose of the collars(usually used on the tailstock as shown) is to provide a non-adjustable highly repeatable stop. In the case of the tailstock, once you have aligned the tailstock center with the quill(center to center), the collars may be attached so as to eliminate the alignment procedure each time the tailstock is put back on the SS. They MAY be used on other tubes, but this is the primary intention.

BTW When you get around to taking an IN FOCUS picture of your PRIDE and JOY? stay away from that RED THING! It bumped you and got the last pix out of focus.:D

ALSO if you insist upon giving me an AKA, make it RED!:)

P.S. That does not look like citrustrip being used to remove paint buildup! In a HURRY or something???:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post #227

Post by beeg »

Those are used to keep the alignment of the lathe points.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Like JPG and Bob said - your photo shows the rings in their approximately correct position. They are a VITAL part of the tailstock. They even have a fancy name of "Tube Collar Assembly"
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/part ... xpview.htm

When these collars are correctly placed and the eccentric properly set. the tailstock can be taken off and replaced many times and it will remain centered with the quill. Also, when tightened down, I have found absolutely NO wiggle or play in my tailstock over many - many uses.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Just for reference as to the proper installation of the SPT locks, peruse the following #8.

That better than #75?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mickyd in red
JPG40504 wrote: ALSO if you insist upon giving me an AKA, make it RED!:) OK "RED".

P.S. That does not look like citrustrip being used to remove paint buildup! In a HURRY or something???:D I was bummed!! I couldn't use my Citustrip since it was a spray can. That wouldn't have been pretty trying to accurately apply localized paint remover from a spray can!! Had to use the nasty stuff!
Mike
Sunny San Diego