Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Just for reference as to the proper installation of the SPT locks, peruse the following #8.

That better than #75?

You da man RED!!! (Twice in one day even!!)

Nice hyperlinking. Much better that making me hunt.:D Gotta go home. See ya.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:mickyd in red
Did not know it came in a spray can.!! How many oz,$?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

mickyd wrote:I attached this picture to see if anyone can tell me where these steel rings "officially" live on the unit and what are they for? Since all the vertical heights have locking elements already, are they intended to go on whatever your working with as a redundant system if the locking elements fail?
-
-

[ATTACH]4282[/ATTACH]
I don't know if you got an answer to this or not. Those rings are right where they are advertised to be. However, I have about six of those in the shop and I often use them to set tube high on the other verticals to facilitate rapid setup after a tear down.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Did not know it came in a spray can.!! How many oz,$?

18oz, $7.50. The spray can is my prefered application method vs. the plastic pour bottle. Check it out here. I was able to do my entire machine with one can and I still had a bit left over.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Logo cover mounting

Post by mickyd »

On my old '55 Greenie's, how is the ShopSmith logo cover that goes over the access hole in the headstock supposed to held in place? The exploded view in the parts list doesn't show anything.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mickyd wrote:How is the ShopSmith logo cover that goes over the access hole in the headstock held in place?
Mine is "pinned" at the top with a screw on the bottom. Remove the screw, pivot the cover up on the pin. I understand that older units have a spring clip holding it in place, but I have knot seen it myself. The "really old" ones did knot have an access hole behind the logo, but it is adviseable to cut one out there.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:On my old '55 Greenie's, how is the ShopSmith logo cover that goes over the access hole in the headstock supposed to held in place? The exploded view in the parts list doesn't show anything.
How was it held in place when you took it off??? or did you add the access hole, and now want to 'plug it'? The Goldie vintage have a VERY STIFF spring attached to the back of the 'medallion' and two posts which slip into two notches at opposite sides of the access hole(they do a real good job of scratching the top of your hands when you try to stick them through the hole).

Later models did away with the spring and posts as Tim has described.

If you added the hole, you are dependent on your powers of creativity!:D

P.S. Did you take any B4 pix of the back side?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:How was it held in place when you took it off??? or did you add the access hole, and now want to 'plug it'? The Goldie vintage have a VERY STIFF spring attached to the back of the 'medallion' and two posts which slip into two notches at opposite sides of the access hole(they do a real good job of scratching the top of your hands when you try to stick them through the hole).

Later models did away with the spring and posts as Tim has described.

If you added the hole, you are dependent on your powers of creativity!:D

P.S. Did you take any B4 pix of the back side?

It was in a box when I brought her home. No attaching hardware with it. Headstock already had the access hole. I don't have a photo right now of the logo cover but it has two pins that fit into the ears shown in the headstock photo.

[ATTACH]4294[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Img_4844mod.jpg
Img_4844mod.jpg (49.77 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:It was in a box when I brought her home. No attaching hardware with it. Headstock already had the access hole. I don't have a photo right now of the logo cover but it has two pins that fit into the ears shown in the headstock photo.

[ATTACH]4294[/ATTACH]
It is supposed to also have that cursed stiff spring attached to the medallion/logo. I will try to post a pix.

[ATTACH]4295[/ATTACH]

BTW the saw blade is what happens when you leave a saw blade in evaporust and air too long. It seems to have acquired a nice black oxide finish??????
Attachments
logoback.jpg
logoback.jpg (348.35 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:It is supposed to also have that cursed stiff spring attached to the medallion/logo. I will try to post a pix................

Is that spring steel on the back of the cover? Looks quite thick. Also, is it symetrical to the centerline of the cover. Note sure due to the angle the photo was taken at. Do you need to use a screwdriver to put it on by flexing the lower end of it after inserting the upper end into the headstock?
Mike
Sunny San Diego