Restoration Progress On My 1955 Greenie

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

a1gutterman wrote:Mike,

I do KNOT have a Greenie. The following is speculation and might easily be disproved: Due to the lack of swaging marks and the marks that ARE on the two posts, could this logo have come with a SS that DID KNOT have an access hole? Or, could your SS have had the access hole drilled and the previous owner had knot figured out how to re-hang the logo? Just a thought.

edit: On second thought, after reviewing the picure you showed us, that looks like a factory hole, still...
What does a non-factory hole look like?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:What does a non-factory hole look like?
ROUND! No projections on the sides. The 'factory' holes are cast, not cut.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:The other saw blade does knot look all that great either!!! :eek:
Amazing what a coating of sawdust and funky lighting will do. The other blade is quite shiney and sharp. The 'black' one is not too dull(cutting wise) either. The black one was rusty and thrown in with a used arbor purchase. It is also a 9" one(not easy to find nowdays).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:The back of my medallion isn't swaged like the back of yours shown in your post 243. Here's how mine looks.

[ATTACH]4312[/ATTACH]

So, I wonder how mine was ever attached. What do you think?

I need some other Greenie owners to look at theirs.
The original Greenies did not have the access hole and had no need for the spring steel. It was attached from the inside with 2 rubber washers and 2 push nuts. Your headstock case may have been replaced with a newer style. That's what I have done to my Greenies to improve maintenance access.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

bucksaw wrote:The original Greenies did not have the access hole and had no need for the spring steel. It was attached from the inside with 2 rubber washers and 2 push nuts. Your headstock case may have been replaced with a newer style. That's what I have done to my Greenies to improve maintenance access.

You mention that you have replaced your headstock case with the newer style with access hole. If that's the case, how is your medallion held on? That is the answer that I am looking for.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bucksaw wrote:The original Greenies did not have the access hole and had no need for the spring steel. It was attached from the inside with 2 rubber washers and 2 push nuts. Your headstock case may have been replaced with a newer style. That's what I have done to my Greenies to improve maintenance access.
As I understand it, the EARLY Greenies did not have the access hole nor holes in the control/floating sheave shaft bushing. Apparently the 'push nut' attachment method was continued for later Greenies. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:As I understand it, the EARLY Greenies did not have the access hole nor holes in the control/floating sheave shaft bushing. Apparently the 'push nut' attachment method was continued for later Greenies. :(

Are you saying "later Greenie" = One with an access hole but a push nut mounted medallion? That would seem very odd from a design standpoint UNLESS they (SS) shipped some inventory like that because they didn't have the correct medallions.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Are you saying "later Greenie" = One with an access hole but a push nut mounted medallion? That would seem very odd from a design standpoint UNLESS they (SS) shipped some inventory like that because they didn't have the correct medallions.
I am saying that because: You obviously have a 'factory' hole. Your medallion has marks resembling those that would be made by push nuts(tinnerman). You do NOT have an 'earlier' greenie(1955???).
What is NOT explained, is WHY the swaging/spring slot IS on your medallion.:confused:

More input from additional Greenie owners would be most illuminating!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

mickyd wrote:You mention that you have replaced your headstock case with the newer style with access hole. If that's the case, how is your medallion held on? That is the answer that I am looking for.
The headstock cases I bought off eBay for replacement came with the newer medallion style with the spring as pictured . I left the old medallion with the old case in case I ever use it again.

Does anyone know what year the medallion access hole was added to the headstock casing? I'm curious.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

I have a "Greenie" made in late 1956. It has the "factory" hole with the prongs cast in it.

Curiously, I only have two screws that hold the belt guard on vs. MickeyD's six(?) screws. Wonder when that changed?