mid-'50s shopsmith disassembling and cleaning -- help

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:So glad to have an electrical engineer in the group!

How come there is a capacitor on the motor? What's the relay do?
The relay is part of the start circuit. When the motor is first turned on, the start current(high) causes the relay to close the contact which connects the capacitor into the circuit. Once the motor is turning fast enough, the current drops and the relay removes the capacitor from the circuit. This is an over simplification, but is the general idea.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:The relay is part of the start circuit. When the motor is first turned on, the start current(high) causes the relay to close the contact which connects the capacitor into the circuit. Once the motor is turning fast enough, the current drops and the relay removes the capacitor from the circuit. This is an over simplification, but is the general idea.
So the capacitor in effect is acting like an additional power source at startup to keep amperage down? I had no idea that a capacitor can store so much energy. Any idea how much it holds?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:So the capacitor in effect is acting like an additional power source at startup to keep amperage down? I had no idea that a capacitor can store so much energy. Any idea how much it holds?
Actually it provides additional 'phase shift' in one of the windings which in turn increases the torque enabling it to start rotating. Once it IS rotating the motor does not need this additional phase shift to continue running. It all has to do with back EMF and slip speed(far deeper than either one of us wants to go this late in the week/evening).:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Actually it provides additional 'phase shift' in one of the windings which in turn increases the torque enabling it to start rotating. Once it IS rotating the motor does not need this additional phase shift to continue running. It all has to do with back EMF and slip speed(far deeper than either one of us wants to go this late in the week/evening).:D
Thanks. I think I'll read up on it. I'm an ME but took enough EE to get a basic understanding.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

JPG - thanks for the confirmation. When I pulled mine apart I thought the capacitor leads didn't matter, but wasn't going to take a chance. Next machine rebuild, I won't bother.

When I saw the capacitor I must have slipped into car stereo mode. "...You ain't bumpin' unless your thumpin'....." :cool:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

etc92guy wrote:Edward - I apologize for the delay in this.....got hammered into the ground with work.

There should be 3 wires coming out of the motor: yellow, brown, and black. I may be off on the dark colors because I'm working in a shop area with one fluorescent fixture.

The colors for the power cord are from the original 1956 cord. Your new cord, I'm guessing, is white, black and green. White=tan, black=black, and green gets a spade connector and is attached to one of the bolts that hold the motor together.

When I pulled mine apart, I marked the capacitor lug that runs from relay connector 1 to the capacitor with a "+" sign. You obviously didn't do that.:p Since this is all AC, it shouldn't matter which capacitor connector is used, but I'm not a electrical engineer ( just know enough to be dangerous :rolleyes: ). I'm calling on this forum to weigh in here and confirm this.

Promised diagram below.

[ATTACH]3531[/ATTACH]

And guess what? My Shopsmith is still in pieces.

Maybe an EE could modify the diagram here to show run windings and start windings complete with capacitor and centrifugal switch and then we would understand what is going on.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:Maybe an EE could modify the diagram here to show run windings and start windings complete with capacitor and centrifugal switch and then we would understand what is going on.:)

I once read a story about a small boy who asked his father what made the light bulb on the ceiling work. The father gave him a full dissertation on power generation, grid management, relays, transformers and a full description of all of the relevant theories involved. The boy then wandered off.
A few minutes later the boy found his mother in the kitchen and asked her what makes the light bulb on the ceiling work. She told him "the switch on the wall". He said "OK, that is all I wanted to know..." :D
While we here tend to want all of the gory little details the general public usually just wants to know about the switch. :)
I remember that little story from about 40 years ago, just don't ask me what I had for breakfast. :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:I once read a story about a small boy who asked his father what made the light bulb on the ceiling work. The father gave him a full dissertation on power generation, grid management, relays, transformers and a full description of all of the relevant theories involved. The boy then wandered off.
A few minutes later the boy found his mother in the kitchen and asked her what makes the light bulb on the ceiling work. She told him "the switch on the wall". He said "OK, that is all I wanted to know..." :D
While we here tend to want all of the gory little details the general public usually just wants to know about the switch. :)
I remember that little story from about 40 years ago, just don't ask me what I had for breakfast. :D
Maybe but then some of us might want more detail. When this little boy (no longer a little boy) turns on the switch and the light doesn't come on - he thinks the only thing that could be wrong is "the switch on the wall".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:Maybe but then some of us might want more detail. When this little boy (no longer a little boy) turns on the switch and the light doesn't come on - he thinks the only thing that could be wrong is "the switch on the wall".

In another 5 or 10 years they won't let him change his own bulb without a permit anyway... :D
-
In a side note I just changed my signature line and was surprised to note that it was then changed on a message I made before the change. I wonder how far back it changes them (speaking of being curious about how things work)? :)
-
I should probably go renew my amature woodworkers license. :rolleyes:
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:In another 5 or 10 years they won't let him change his own bulb without a permit anyway... :D
-
In a side note I just changed my signature line and was surprised to note that it was then changed on a message I made before the change. I wonder how far back it changes them (speaking of being curious about how things work)? :)
-

I should probably go renew my amature woodworkers license. :rolleyes:
I believe that these changes are made to ALL documents that are in the
"archive of documents" for that particular "user name".

I say this because I have changed avatars and I see the oldest of my forum documents with the later avatar.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty