Rustoleum Hammered Paint - To prime or not to prime?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have not used any primer on my Shopsmith's for a very good reason... I just didn't want to... :D
Different strokes. :)
I didn't feel it was necessary for an indoor item that will not see high moisture or extreme temperatures. Now I would never paint a car, truck, tractor or about any outside item without primer but not on well prepared indoor stuff.
FWIW, I used very little sandpaper either except in tight areas. I did 95% of my surface prep with BBQ grill cleaning pads with a D handle.
http://www.choiceful.com/prod_image/71617_m.jpg
They do a great job on old paint, grunge and even scaly rust like you often see at the bottom of the legs in the first couple of inches. Those pads also make a fine push block too and grip better than the foam rubber pad ones. :)
I get them at Wally World for about $2.
I follow the sanding/scouring with a solvent cleaning. I think the one I used was called "Liquid Sand" or something like that.
-
I do something that I don't see most others doing. I prep and paint the insides and normally unseen parts of all of the castings etc. If you pull my belt cover off for example it looks as nice on the inside as on the outside. The bottom of the main table looks great prepped and painted. Good masking is critical...
It has been maybe 8 years or more since I quickly painted "The Old Gray Mare" and it shows no signs of peeling or flaking. It has been sitting in the old shop where it can drop to 20 below zero at times and stuff sweats badly in spring and fall. :eek:
I will be moving it into the new shop where it will never freeze again, hopefully this week. I didn't take nearly the pains with her as I have the later ones.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

robinson46176 wrote:........I do something that I don't see most others doing. I prep and paint the insides and normally unseen parts of all of the castings etc............

farmer.... How do you surface prep all those tight nooks and crannies? Have you ever done it on castings that have a fair amount of white corrosion? Can you explain your process in detail? That would help.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mickyd wrote:farmer.... How do you surface prep all those tight nooks and crannies? Have you ever done it on castings that have a fair amount of white corrosion? Can you explain your process in detail? That would help.

I failed to mention that I did use all manner of wire brushes and I also used some "VERY" coarse steel wool. Sometimes I wound some of the steel wool around a dowel.
I have a smallish sand-blasting outfit but I did not use it. I thought on the next one I would buy some crushed walnut shell medium and try that on such places. I am in no danger of over blasting with this gun unit I have. :D
If I feel that an area might need a little more cleaning and I cant get down in a corner or something I grab a cheap spray can of carburetor cleaner from Wally World with the little tube and flush it out a little.
-
I tend to function a lot like an old bricklayer friend of mine. I once told him that I was pretty mediocre as a brick and block layer because I couldn't always get it to suit me using a trowel and I tended to use my fingers a lot. He said that it was OK, that he did what ever it took even if he had to use his nose... :D
In one of my lives I am a writer and most of my readers have no idea how hard I have to work to get what they read even half right. It is something I never expected to be doing and I never really trained for it. I got started writing user guides for data processing systems back in the 1960's (wood burning computer days) so inexperienced customer employees could properly prepare input data for stuff like computer payrolls, sales analysis, perpetual inventories etc. I really love the new writing tools. I used to wear out dictionaries. :D
-
I really like having a nice coat of hammer-tone on the bottom of the main tables when I tip them up where they show.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill