Shopsmith Bearings

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

hobbydad wrote:JPG and Bill, thanks for the info. I should have the bearings next week, so I will have to look for a puller. As always, the users on this forum are a great help!

Loren
I used for many years and have recommended to other Forum members the following Harbor Freight puller http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93980 when it is on sale for $29.95 or less than the normal $49.95 price. I have pulled and installed many bearings without any problems. Just remember to never put any pressure on the balls between the races as it can lead to early failure and noise. Be careful to not get the bearing tilted when installing. I have used deep well sockets and still use short pieces of pipe and machined sleeves to install bearings.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
mmorris
Gold Member

bearing sizes

Post by mmorris »

I'm needing a single quill bearing and two drive sleeve bearings for my "new" 1954 greenie. I've searched the forum and thought I had the numbers needed to order them, but when I search bearing sites for 6205ZZ and 6202ZZ I get several choices for the same bearing.
For example, at http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? I get the choice between a $12.95 16mm one and a $1.49 15mm one. When searching for Fafnir 202KDD5 at Tamkin, I get many choices.

Does anyone have current order numbers from any company for greenie bearings that I could just call them and use the SKU number?
Feel free to PM me. Thanks.
Monte in Missouri
Two 1954 Mark V's: #268502 and #267199
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

mmorris wrote:I'm needing a single quill bearing and two drive sleeve bearings for my "new" 1954 greenie. I've searched the forum and thought I had the numbers needed to order them, but when I search bearing sites for 6205ZZ and 6202ZZ I get several choices for the same bearing.
For example, at http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? I get the choice between a $12.95 16mm one and a $1.49 15mm one. When searching for Fafnir 202KDD5 at Tamkin, I get many choices.

Does anyone have current order numbers from any company for greenie bearings that I could just call them and use the SKU number?
Feel free to PM me. Thanks.
I order my bearings by size, not by number. The quill bearing is 6202ZZ-5/8 (5/8" X 35mm X 11mm) (202KDD5 is the same size). The drive sleeve bearings are 6205ZZ (25mm X 52mm X 15mm) (205KLL2 is the same size) Each bearing number can come in many different sizes. I buy my Precision bearings from Bob Hill (bobhill5@earthlink.net). A nice gentleman to deal with. I like a shielded bearing over a sealed bearing but either are OK. If he does not have them, then I buy bearings on Ebay from jjdini3 first or irvineman. Price for the same bearing can vary quite a bit so shop around.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
mmorris
Gold Member

Post by mmorris »

Thanks for your timely reply, Bill. I've emailed Bob Hill.
Will this gear puller on Ebay work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350335068407&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:MOTORS:1123

Thanks,
Monte
Monte in Missouri
mmorris
Gold Member

Bearing prices

Post by mmorris »

For anyone interested, I emailed Bob Hill (see Bill Mayo's post) and got a price quote of $3.89/bearing for both the quill and drive sleeve ( for Greenie). Shipping is free.
Monte in Missouri
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

mmorris wrote:Thanks for your timely reply, Bill. I've emailed Bob Hill.
Will this gear puller on Ebay work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350335068407&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:MOTORS:1123

Thanks,
Monte

That is similar to the one Bill recommends and I bought. The one I have is the Harbor Freight model and was on sale when I bought it for $39.00 and has worked flawlessly. The one you show on EBay only has one clamshell and the arms look to be too big for the type of pulling you will be doing on the Shopsmith. I would just order the one from Harbor Freight it was $60 when i went to get it but when i got to the store I was happily surprised ti find it on sale for $39.00. Best $39.00 tool I have bought IMHO!
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
mmorris
Gold Member

Post by mmorris »

Thanks, Michael.
Monte in Missouri
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mmorris wrote:Thanks for your timely reply, Bill. I've emailed Bob Hill.

Thanks,
Monte
That puller / separator will work. I use a similar onefrom HF. HF goes on sale for $30-40 occasionally if your not too anxious.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
derekdarling
Gold Member

Bearings

Post by derekdarling »

Brilliant! I spent the day tearing down the headstock on my new (to me) Mark V. Had to use a drift through to get the drive shaft out, only to find that at some time in the past, someone had managed to munge the bearings pretty good! It looks like they were 'eased' in to their holes with a hammer and screwdriver!

The unit would trip breakers whenever I started it up, but the motor ran fairly well without the belt on. Now I know why, and now I can find a local source due to this wonderful and brilliant list! thanks,

Derek
mmorris
Gold Member

Post by mmorris »

The Franklin motor that is in my 54 greenie has a 5/8" shaft and the bearings are 1 3/8" OD. The only markings on the bearings that I can see is "502-16 and ND". Does anyone have a number for these?
I mistakenly ordered 6203ZZ (I saw "Franklin motor" on the bearing numbers posted in this thread, but didn't notice that it was for a 3/4 inch shaft).
Monte in Missouri