Shopsmith Bearings

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mmorris wrote:The Franklin motor that is in my 54 greenie has a 5/8" shaft and the bearings are 1 3/8" OD. The only markings on the bearings that I can see is "502-16 and ND". Does anyone have a number for these?
I mistakenly ordered 6203ZZ (I saw "Franklin motor" on the bearing numbers posted in this thread, but didn't notice that it was for a 3/4 inch shaft).
The '3/4' refers to the horse power of the motor, not the shaft size.

If they appear to be 1 3/8" od, they are 35mm od. Most motor bearings are 40 mm(1.575") with either 5/8" id or 17mm id. The 6203 should be the correct one unless the id is 5/8".

You need to measure the shaft at the bearing mount location.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mmorris
Gold Member

Post by mmorris »

My Franklin Electric 3/4 HP motor, which looks original to the 1954 Greenie, takes 6202-16MVV C3 bearings. The 5/8 diameter shaft is just slightly enlarged where the bearings fit.
Monte in Missouri
Two 1954 Mark V's: #268502 and #267199
bradhise
Bronze Member

Odd Rear Motor bearings

Post by bradhise »

Hello, I have not posted before. I hope this is found useful. I recently updated my 56 greenie with a used 1.25 HP emerson motor. The rear bearing was odd like JPG40504 said. I found that Emerson uses a .625 centrifigul switch on the rear of the shaft neccitating the use of a .625 bearing. I could not find the Nachi bearing 620310 NSL but did find this which seems to work very well from VXB bearings
rear emerson motor bearing 6203-2rs-10 sealed.
The front or "fan" motor bearing is a standard 6203
Hope this is a help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="bradhise"]Hello, I have not posted before. I hope this is found useful. I recently updated my 56 greenie with a used 1.25 HP emerson motor. The rear bearing was odd like JPG40504 said. I found that Emerson uses a .625 centrifigul switch on the rear of the shaft neccitating the use of a .625 bearing. I could not find the Nachi bearing 620310 NSL but did find this which seems to work very well from VXB bearings
rear emerson motor bearing 6203-2rs-10 sealed.
The front or "fan" motor bearing is a standard 6203
Hope this is a help.[/quote]

It is also correct(1 1/8hp).:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
oddie
Gold Member

Post by oddie »

This thread was started in March of 2009 and the first post contained,
"The control/idler shaft bearing is >>>> Water pump shaft...shaft and bearing are one and is not repairable by the average joe. Anyone found an aftermarket replacement? Also, the small bearing on the speed control sheave is pretty much not repairable as near as I can tell."

Are there aftermarket replacements for these two bearings? If so, what are their specs so I can order them?

Why did the poster say they are not repairable? Does it take special techniques or tools?

I have a 500 of mixed vintage (not sure who the father is). In some post there was a comment about SS making a change to the eccentric. Did this impact the bearing?
Have a safe day!

Oddie

510(upgraded 500), 500, 10ER, power station, belt sander, bandsaw, jointer, SS compressor, jigsaw, dust collector
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

oddie wrote:This thread was started in March of 2009 and the first post contained,
"The control/idler shaft bearing is >>>> Water pump shaft...shaft and bearing are one and is not repairable by the average joe. Anyone found an aftermarket replacement? Also, the small bearing on the speed control sheave is pretty much not repairable as near as I can tell."

Are there aftermarket replacements for these two bearings? If so, what are their specs so I can order them?

Why did the poster say they are not repairable? Does it take special techniques or tools?

I have a 500 of mixed vintage (not sure who the father is). In some post there was a comment about SS making a change to the eccentric. Did this impact the bearing?

It replaced the modified water pump bearing with two standard ball bearings and a new shaft design. The eccentric was changed at that time.

The control sheave bearing is also modified making it 'unique'. SS does not sell it separate from a sheave. I believe the water pump bearing is now obsolete. IMHO the new design is better!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

JPG40504 wrote:Adding to the difficulty of finding bearing part numbers is the variation in identifying part number with different manufacturers. This 'search' is greatly aided if one knows the 'size' of the bearing.

Therefore, the following: id x od x length

Quill (2 piece shaft).............................. 15mm x 32mm x 7mm doubleshielded?
.................................................. 17mm x 35mm x 10mm doubleshielded?

I believe this to be correct. If not let me know & I will fix any errors.
Minor correction: the 6002zz "length" is 9mm, not 7mm. And yes both quill bearings are double shielded.
John
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

What is meant here by the "water pump bearing"?
Thanks, Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbursek wrote:What is meant here by the "water pump bearing"?
Thanks, Bob
The idler shaft started life as a water pump shaft/bearing.

Due to current difficulty in sourcing them today(victim of transverse engines), the two bearing redesign is now produced. Tis backward compatible, but requires the newer eccentric design.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I still prefer and use the old "water pump double bearing" idler shaft. I got an Ebay seller to offer a new replacement idler shaft and bearing which works well for me. I have not seen the old (original) bearing actually fail to where it will seize. It will make increasing noise when the wear becomes excessive. I already had to replace one of the new design 2 bearing idler shafts due to bearing failure. I question how long the either of the 2 new bearings will last operating at over 16.000 RPM. I have operated the older idler shaft up to 18,000 RPM for extended periods of time without any noticeable increase in noise even through it was not specified to operate at this speed range, normally 9,000 RPM max on the original Mark Vs.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)