Electrolysis for rust removal

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Electrolysis for rust removal

Post by reible »

I use rebar in my tank. I got mine at Menards but it is all the same stuff I believe.

I also use old chicken wire to clean the tank/rebar so it will last a very long time.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Any steel/iron will work. Stainless steel - NO! Works, but you lose the green chemistry award.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I guessing here if it has an anti corrosion coating on it it is useless. Rebarr.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
ljhhontx
Gold Member

Post by ljhhontx »

I have used old brake rotors with good success, you can lay them in the bottom of the tank and turn them over when they get crusty on one side.
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

I have tried several metals as well and I like using plain "All-THREAD". Plain rebar will work however, It is a much slower process. As others have stated, Higher amperage is not needed. And don't think using a much more concentrated mix of washing soda will do a better job.

As for cleaning smaller parts, It's hard to beat a vinegar soak. Just make sure the part you are soaking is "Completely" submerged in the vinegar otherwise you will have unwanted heavy rusting of any part which was not submerged.

If you want to use vinegar but need the part derusted quicker, Apple cider vinegar is by far better and faster........ I use apple cider vinegar for removing "Mill scale" from carbon steel prior to welding. I simply plan out my welding project so the steel has a few days to soak. The vinegar does a wonderful job and it is far safer than other acids... The vinegar soak should be done in a closed plastic container(5 gal. bucket with plastic lid, etc..).

I keep several gals. of Apple cider vinegar along with several gals. of white vinegar on hand at all times.

Mike