Restoration Progress On My 1952 ER10

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What color to paint my ER10? (post #216)

Poll ended at Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:35 pm

Other (post you answer)
50%
Other (post you answer)
36%
Other (post you answer)
14%

Total votes: 36

dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

[quote="JPG40504"]The person at the 'controls' must have Parkinson's.]

Or more likely Essential Tremors.
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think the pin strip was done with horse hair when we all know to get the job done right squirrel hair is needed.

Now how many of you know what I'm talking about... yes, before you go bale out on google.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:I think the pin strip was done with horse hair when we all know to get the job done right squirrel hair is needed.

Now how many of you know what I'm talking about... yes, before you go bale out on google.

Ed
Being from WI, I always thought it was badger hair. (we are talking about shaving brushes?) . . . . .Or 'camel hair'?(color)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

re: Pinstriped ER

heathicus, etc92guy, reible.....sorry guys.....after almost a day of deliberation, there is no chance my ER will get pinstriped. Just as a side note, who dresses you guys in the morning anyway?? :D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

mickyd wrote:re: Pinstriped ER

heathicus, etc92guy, reible.....sorry guys.....after almost a day of deliberation, there is no chance my ER will get pinstriped. Just as a side note, who dresses you guys in the morning anyway?? :D
Good call! :D It looked great in my mind but after I Etch-A-Sketched it on your image... yeah, not so much.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:Good call! :D It looked great in my mind but after I Etch-A-Sketched it on your image... yeah, not so much.
Y'all did not mention it, but the 'gold' pinstriping needed to be outlined in black to set it off nice!

Obviously more work than Mike wishes to engage in!:D He is sooo busy playing hide n seek!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:Good call! :D It looked great in my mind but after I Etch-A-Sketched it on your image... yeah, not so much.
I did give it a chance I want you to know. I even did a Paint Shop Pro mock up (with straight lines even!!). And your right, in the mind it looks much nicer. It still does even after I've seen it on paper (actually on screen). Thanks for your efforts.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

Maybe it's the size of the machine...........Do we need bigger Shopsmiths?
Craig
Hartland, WI
-Mark 5 "Greenie" S/N 342238, Manuf. mmm/mmm 1957, Acq. Oct. 2008, Joiner S/N M067266
-10 E/ER(?) S/N Unknown, Joiner 4E S/N 40051
mickyd
Platinum Member

Bench board refurbish

Post by mickyd »

As I restored the ER's bench boards, I decided that when I reassemble, I would flip the boards over since the undersides were in better condition than the top. I wanted to leave what was previously the top untouched as a reminder of what they looked like previously. All I did was strip the paint off.

The photos show the back and front sides of the boards as they are now, prior to applying finish. Notice the top of the left photo of what was the topside....... looks like the "shroud"......the residual image of where the tailstock used to be, eyes closed!!!!
[ATTACH]6469[/ATTACH]...[ATTACH]6470[/ATTACH]
I currently have a coat of finish on the good side but no pictures to show yet. I used the finish recipeNick suggested....1C tung oil mixed with 2T spar urethane.
Attachments
Img_7586mod.jpg
Img_7586mod.jpg (138.56 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
Img_7581mod.jpg
Img_7581mod.jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:As I restored the ER's bench boards, I decided that when I reassemble, I would flip the boards over since the undersides were in better condition than the top. I wanted to leave what was previously the top untouched as a reminder of what they looked like previously. All I did was strip the paint off.

The photos show the back and front sides of the boards as they are now, prior to applying finish. Notice the top of the left photo of what was the topside....... looks like the "shroud"......the residual image of where the tailstock used to be, eyes closed!!!!
[ATTACH]6469[/ATTACH]...[ATTACH]6470[/ATTACH]

I currently have a coat of finish on the good side but no pictures to show yet. I used the finish recipeNick suggested....1C tung oil mixed with 2T spar urethane.
Sheesh! Anybody else put tablecloths on their worktables???:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝