Headstock Reassembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Considering the the subject of this thread is specific to the headstock, I would either
  1. See if admin can change the subject to encompass your entire SCOPE.
  2. Create new thread(s) for the the other specific topic(s) BUT....make sure to edit the first post of this thread showing how to get out to the other ones AND on the other threads, include a link back to this thread. That's going to be the tough part. I attempted that approach in my greenie restoration thread referring to tube polishing.
Path of least resistance is option 1 which also probably makes the most sense.
What I was thinking was to create a new thread titled 'Reassembling a Mark V and accessories'.

Link that thread to the headstock thread, and all the others(new) with reverse links as done with the 'existing' headstock thread and its links to sub-sections.

This keeps Admin from having to 'get in the act' and I can develop it as time permits. This assumes I will retain the ability to edit the initial post for the entire life of a thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
biffedit
Bronze Member

Lookin for history

Post by biffedit »

JPG40504,

I noticed the end of your posts you mention "Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)", I ask because I just bought my first Shop Smith (Used), in running order, but needs work. My SS# is 374711 and I have no idea if it is a 62 0r 63, most of the info I can find leads me to believe because it is Gold it is a Brown/Gold/Tan/Anniversary Model- made 60-63. The tool history page tells me because of the 1 1/8 motor it's at least a 62, so I figure since my SS is 3000 off yours they are probably the same year. Would you mind tell me when you got it?

THX Biffed-it
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

This thread should be a "sticky" so it stays at the top
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dgale wrote:This thread should be a "sticky" so it stays at the top

"Stickey" refers to a thread staying at the top of a forum.

An initial post defines a thread, and always stays on top of the thread. All subsequent posts to the thread are sequential(by time/date) 'below' that.

With the embedded links I have created in this series of threads , all 'sub-ordinate' threads are linked back to the mother ship and vice versa.

This thread is sub-ordinate to the one linked back to in the first post.

Some find this thread linking confusing, but I prefer it to a marathon thread like MickyD's. Rather than an index of post #, I think the set of links serves the same purpose. I need to create thread titles carefully so the link's 'index' works.

:)

FWIW current progress on this journey is 'paused'(temporarily).

P.S. Thanks for rattling my cage!!!! As a result I have come to realize I have been neglecting the mother ship thread. I have created threads that need to be linked to from there. (Motor)(bandsaw)(belt sander) . . .

Reason for neglect, I forgot the mention of including SPT's. The 510 restore IS paused.

I shall attempt to correct that forthwith.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange