Frozen Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair - Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

mickyd wrote:There is a pictorial repair procedure for a frozen Jacobs drill chuck. You can find it at:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=46842&postcount=200

There were 2 on-line resources that heathicus provided to me that I used as I went through the repair:

http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-repair.asp
http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

9-15-09 update
I uploaded a pdf version of the entire repair procedure. It can be found below.
Mickyd and Heathicus,
Thank you! This was a superb guide. I had an older chuck that, after a mineral-spirits soaking and turbine-oil lubrication, was moving but not quite smooth. I got up the guts to do the procedure you showed, and it worked fine. Really nice to have some teflon-grease in there rather than thin oil and dilute saw-pitch.
Hey, since I'm getting a colonoscopy tomorrow, it's nice to get some of this crap out of the way.
Chris
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

nuhobby wrote:h.
Hey, since I'm getting a colonoscopy tomorrow, it's nice to get some of this crap out of the way.

Have fun drinking all the stuff they have you drink to clean you out.:eek: Good luck and rev up the old farter.:D
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Good luck, Dick. Here's hoping the diagnosis is exactly what you want to hear.

I'm leaving here in about twenty minutes to go have the urinary system scoped out. Sorta the same routine but different, if you know what I mean.:(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

dusty wrote:Good luck, Dick. Here's hoping the diagnosis is exactly what you want to hear.

I'm leaving here in about twenty minutes to go have the urinary system scoped out. Sorta the same routine but different, if you know what I mean.:(
Now that dusty has left, if you've never been through THAT procedure, pray to God you never have to!!! They say that the greatest pain experienced by humans is child birth??? IMPOSSIBLE!!! Any of you that have had it done will probably agree with me. I would demand being knocked out next time if I ever have to go through it again. dusty will have a very uncomfortable couple days.

p.s. dusty was so nervous that he was wishing Dick good luck and Dick's not even going through the procedure. Good luck Chris aka newhobby. (from me and dusty!!) Eat dry toast when you wake up!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

I feel for Dusty. My BIL had blatter cancer about 4 years ago and all treatments and followups were done in the method Dusty described.:eek: It is not fun!
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
nuhobby
Platinum Member

I'm Back!

Post by nuhobby »

Maybe info better suited for a Potpourri thread, but I got through the colonoscopy this afternoon. Glad to have it "behind" me! I'll be back in the shop in another couple of days.

Thanks again for the drill-chuck lessons, and the well-wishes!
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

nuhobby wrote:Maybe info better suited for a Potpourri thread, but I got through the colonoscopy this afternoon. Glad to have it "behind" me! I'll be back in the shop in another couple of days.

Thanks again for the drill-chuck lessons, and the well-wishes!

Don't rush it, Chris, just to say you are back to normal. A days rest won't hurt you at all. Now I am a fine one to be giving that lecture but it is a valid lesson.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.