Frozen Jacobs Drill Chuck Repair - Disassembly, Cleaning, Inspection

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

mickyd wrote:what about :confused: :confused:
A.....B.....C
assuming that the original, as-manufactured sequence was
A.....B.....C
then any combinations not in the modular 1-2-3 sequence were eliminated when heathicus originally said:
heathicus wrote:Upon reassembly, I did not make sure to put the jaws back in the same holes, but I did make sure to keep the jaws in the same position relative to each other and the chuck has performed flawlessly.
that constraint meant that it was not a combinatorial problem. it actually reduced the problem to: how many different ways can you put a tapered, equilateral triangular peg into a tapered, equilateral triangular hole.

or, to put it differently, heathicus got it right in those figures he posted above.:)

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

iclark wrote:assuming that the original, as-manufactured sequence was
A.....B.....C
then any combinations not in the modular 1-2-3 sequence were eliminated when heathicus originally said:

that constraint meant that it was not a combinatorial problem. it actually reduced the problem to: how many different ways can you put a tapered, equilateral triangular peg into a tapered, equilateral triangular hole.

or, to put it differently, heathicus got it right in those figures he posted above.:)

Ivan

Ah, your right Ivan (and heathicus and anyone lurking who was hesitant to jump in). I see the light!! I wasn't considering the fact that as long as they are in order relative to each other they are OK. Good catch. So heathicus, your not as lucky as I originally thought BUT......still lucky if you ask me. :D You had a 1 in 2 chance (50-50) at getting it right. Good things are bound to come your way!!

Thanks guys!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:what about :confused: :confused:
A.....B.....C
Mike: Go back to #17 and find what you missed. He kept track of the sequence(123) AND the direction (CW vs CCW). He was guaranteed to be 100% 'right'. What really matters is the proper meshing of the threads on the three jaws with the threads on the split ring 'nut'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

[quote="heathicus"]I'm not a mathamagician, so can you explain the math? I was thinking I had a 1 in 3 chance. If I keep the jaws the same position relative to each other, there are only 3 possible positions. See attached crude diagrams.

Were you able to see any differences with the holes in the body or with the jaws that would require specific holes and jaws to be matched? I couldn't see anything like that on mine. The only difference was the threads or the jaws so they needed to be in the right order.
:D :D ]

heath - to answer your question regarding if I saw any hole difference, the answer is no. They are all the same by design.

OK, so that we can officially put the probability question to bed after having our healthy debate over that last several posts, if you reassemble the jaws into the chuck body WITHOUT paying attention to which jaw goes into which hole, you stand a 1 in 2 chance (50-50) of getting them installed correctly, as jpg correctly indicated in post #17 indicating that there are 2 possible combinations. Since jaw #1 doesn't have to go into any particular hole of the three, you can only install the jaws (assuming clockwise rotation) either the correct way which is 1,2,3 or the incorrect way which is 1,3,2.

We all happy campers with this??
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:heath - to answer your question regarding if I saw any hole difference, the answer is no. They are all the same by design.

OK, so that we can officially put the probability question to bed after having our healthy probability debate over that last several posts, if you reassemble the jaws into the chuck body WITHOUT paying attention to which jaw goes into which hole, you stand a 1 in 2 chance (50-50) of getting them installed correctly, as jpg correctly indicated in post #17 saying there are 2 possible combinations . Since jaw #1 doesn't have to go into any particular hole of the three, you can only install the jaws (assuming clockwise rotation) either the correct way which is 1,2,3 or the incorrect way which is 1,3,2.

We all happy campers with this??
Praise the Lord! Finally!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

mickyd wrote:We all happy campers with this??
I bow to your wisdom.
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

FYI - If anyone is interested, I made up a downloadable pdf file of the entire frozen chuck repair procedure and included it on post #1 of this thread.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Mike

I have followed this thread as it progressed and want to say Thank You for sharing this information and for putting it in the PDF format. Just got done downloading it and saving it in my SS files. It's folks like you that share this information which makes this forum so great and enjoyable. I never would have imagined that a chuck that was in such a condition could ever be made to function again. Thank You!!
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

howdja create the pdf files?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:howdja create the pdf files?

I have Acrobat Professional software on my PC's. Big $$$ software package.

Some scanner software offers pdf file creation. To know if you have it, look in control panel printers and see if you have anything that shows "pdf" in the description. If so, try going to a web page, do file / print and select that one that show the xxxxpdf description and see what happens.

Another option for Vista uses is to print to the xps file. See http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/3847e058-6e00-43e7-b642-3a2eed063c231033.mspx Bummer is the forum doesn't support xps format BUT it can be emailed to folks who have vista. Maybe it works with XP but I don't know) OR you can put the file up on a file sharing site if you have one OR make it into a zip file which the forum DOES support.

I can give you more detail if you need. Off to a meetin'
Mike
Sunny San Diego