good lubrication for this "thing"??

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

good lubrication for this "thing"??

Post by reible »

Sorry but lots of brain clouds today so I don't even remember the proper name for this tool...

Anyway I found it tucked away in the father-in-laws shop and attempted to use it to get a pattern to dupicate a piece of missing molding. I think it sat to long.... I cleaned it up but it is still so stiff that it would work as a saw if you put that pattern on it.

So anyone have any thing they have used to get these thing sliding again? Got to be something that will not affect the molding or finish on the existing part to be copied.

Oh yea a picture of the tool:
[ATTACH]6317[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
DSCF7137sc.jpg
DSCF7137sc.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Ed:

I have two of them but still don't know what they are called.:o

Other than getting some lubricant down in the guts where the wires slide through, I'm not sure what can be done.

Good luck.

John
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Contour gage.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mickyd wrote:Contour gage.

Yep.
I just use WD-40 but then I also use axle grease on my watch. :D
I suppose Johnson's Wax would work well too.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF steel, try electrolysis like ya did the chuck. Maybe the reaction will clean the innards. Move the pins to one side before hand. Evaporust might also work.

Post processing, wd40/wax after cleaning the blox off it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
still_waters_43
Gold Member

Post by still_waters_43 »

I pulled the ends off and the whole thing came apart real easy (be careful though or the wires will fall all about the place). Then I cleaned the wires with WD40 and reassembled it. Works good now :cool:
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

So what do you do with it, Hold it against what you want to copy, then trace it onto your wood? :o :confused: I have never seen one.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Ed! I'd use WD-40 applied amply. After it gets cleaned up and slides fairly easily, spray on silicone, that will replace the WD-40 and give a better feel to the sliding. Also use a lot of the silicone.

After it is smooth - wipe it down well with dry paper shop towels. You Know - the blue ones.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

joedw00 wrote:So what do you do with it, Hold it against what you want to copy, then trace it onto your wood? :o :confused: I have never seen one.
That OR hold it to a lathe as a duplicator
[ATTACH]6318[/ATTACH]
Attachments
contour.jpg
contour.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

You might try soaking it in Kroiloil for a day or two.
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge