Side to Side Leveling of Main Work Table

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jmilligan
Gold Member

Side to Side Leveling of Main Work Table

Post by jmilligan »

Although my main 520 work table is aligned with the saw blade, it is not level side to side. The back right corner is up slightly so that side of the table does not line up evenly with the stationary table or a floating table. The fence catches on the uneven space between the tables. I aligned all of the side rails again with the rail install guages to be sure that wasn't part of the problem.

What is/are the best way(s) to align the main work table side to side? Do I need shims, etc. Is there a previous forum discussion about this or a video segment on this. I searched both but didn't find this specific topic.
Jeff Milligan
Keizer Oregon
Mark V 520 (upgrade from 510), sliding cross cut table, bandsaw, DC3300, jointer, 6" belt sander, strip sander, biscuit jointer, router table, pro planer, power station and lift assist.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Look at the bottom of this page and see if any of those 3 links help.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jmilligan wrote:Although my main 520 work table is aligned with the saw blade, it is not level side to side. The back right corner is up slightly so that side of the table does not line up evenly with the stationary table or a floating table. The fence catches on the uneven space between the tables. I aligned all of the side rails again with the rail install guages to be sure that wasn't part of the problem.

What is/are the best way(s) to align the main work table side to side? Do I need shims, etc. Is there a previous forum discussion about this or a video segment on this. I searched both but didn't find this specific topic.

After aligning the main table, don't make any changes to the main table or the rails on the main table.

Position the Carriage so that the extension table AND the main table can be tied together using the short tubes. Loosen the nuts on the four studs that secure the extension table to the extension table base.

Lock the carriage lock and the headstock lock (even though the headstock is not involved right now. Secure the tubes to the rails. Clamp a level(s) across the main table and the extension table. I use two four foot levels when I do this. One at the in feed edge of the table, the other at the out feed edge. Now secure the 8 nuts on the four studs, FINGER TIGHT. This should position the table tops so that they are perfectly level.

If it does not, loosen the offending rail (from the table). Now by repositioning the table with respect to the rail(s), you should be able to resolve the problem. When everything aligns, securely tighten all the nuts and screws that were loosened and you should be done.

I hope this helps.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:Look at the bottom of this page and see if any of those 3 links help.
What links, where?:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

JPG40504 wrote:What links, where?:confused:
Bob is talking about the links listed below about similar threads. Scroll down.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
johnmccrossen
Gold Member

Post by johnmccrossen »

FYI, You also may want to review Sawdust Session #22 (Topic #2) for more info on verifying side-to-side and front-to-back table alignment.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... _Index.htm

John McCrossen
John McCrossen
Everett, Wa.
1954 Mk 5 SN 269454, 1955 Mk 5 SN 316013, 1960 Mk 5 SN 360792, 1962 Mk 5 SN 380102, Magna band saw, (2) jointers, (1) belt sander, (1) air compressor, (1) jig saw, (1) strip sander, (1) 20" scroll saw, DC 3300 dust collector, Sawsmith RAS, Craftsman table saw, 13" DeWalt planer, Triton 3 1/4 HP plunge router & table
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

jmilligan wrote:Although my main 520 work table is aligned with the saw blade, it is not level side to side. The back right corner is up slightly so that side of the table does not line up evenly with the stationary table or a floating table. The fence catches on the uneven space between the tables. I aligned all of the side rails again with the rail install guages to be sure that wasn't part of the problem.

The table may not be flat. I'd check that first (it's also the easiset thing to check).
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;