Mark VII Belt Part # / Tension

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

mickyd wrote:Why couldn't one duplicate and replace with plastic cam with a wooden version with shim stock on the contact surface?
Sounds like a project! Let us know how it works for you! :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
mikemarkvii
Silver Member

Post by mikemarkvii »

'i have 2 VII's, both came with originol plastic cams. they appear to be made of the same material as the connecter to the spm's. i have read many places they can "melt" but i see no evidence of this. i do know they can be dropped many time [out of the machine, of course] i have a alum. cam i bought as a replacement but i could not get the roll pin out. i was beating on a punch so hard i thought i might bust the cam so i stopped. so now i have a 60$ part waiting in my toolbox- just in case.
the mark VII packet i ordered from shopsmith has a diagram including measurements of the cam. the one i bought was sandcast and very rough. i needed to use a file and dremel before it would fit. without knowing anything about metal work it would seem easy enough to make. making one out of hardwood should be possible, since i have seen clockworks made completely from wood.
the new motor from shopsmith seems ideal for a VII, since it is made with a reversable motor. i would imagine that shopsmith would copy many things from the VII, such as flipping both ways. i have a parts VII i got with no motor that i would love to update. it would be like putting a new 351 in an old mustang.
mike
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

Farmer (Robinson46176) posted a picture of the cam either here or on Nick's website earlier this year. Here is a link to the cam picture that Farmer posted about in May 09.
http://picasaweb.google.com/robinson461 ... 5287964738
It is in his photo album.
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

a1gutterman wrote:Sounds like a project! Let us know how it works for you! :D
I'd need a VII first....
Mike
Sunny San Diego
steveogden
Bronze Member

Clarification - Seeking Mark VII Drive Belt Info

Post by steveogden »

Wow, thanks for all helpful info! I might be able to figure out my belt problem out from the V belt replacement guide that was posted, but to correct my post above, I meant the drive belt. Can anyone confirm:

A: Is it the same specs as the Mark V drive belt? (The correct part # for Mark VII drive belt appears to be 507490, which is different from the Mark V drive belt part #)

B: Anyone know the exact size so I can search for a replacement?

C: The belt included has a part # of 501330 written on it, but I was having doubts that it was correct sicne I can't seem to get it back on, but again, the V belt guide may help me figure this out.

Thanks again!
Steve:o
(Oakland, CA)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

steveogden wrote:Wow, thanks for all helpful info! I might be able to figure out my belt problem out from the V belt replacement guide that was posted, but to correct my post above, I meant the drive belt. Can anyone confirm:

A: Is it the same specs as the Mark V drive belt? (The correct part # for Mark VII drive belt appears to be 507490, which is different from the Mark V drive belt part #)

C: The belt included has a part # of 501330 written on it, but I was having doubts that it was correct sicne I can't seem to get it back on, but again, the V belt guide may help me figure this out.

Thanks again!
(Oakland, CA)
I do not have an answer to your question re part numbers(seems they change often) but which ones - poly v drive belt and or motor v belt
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mikemarkvii
Silver Member

Post by mikemarkvii »

steveogden wrote:Wow, thanks for all helpful info! I might be able to figure out my belt problem out from the V belt replacement guide that was posted, but to correct my post above, I meant the drive belt. Can anyone confirm:

Thanks again!
(Oakland, CA)

a: drive belt is the same, i have one from shopsmith, sold me and they assured me it was the same. call them and explain what you need and they will be happy to help.
b: i looked at napa etc. and couldn"t find a replacement size. ss has propriatory parts. why not order from shopsmith and get an exact fit AND support ahopsmith.
c:I don"t know the parts number right off, but for some reason ALL parts numbers seemed to change from the 60's to present. there are many places to find instructions for belt replacement.
d: the poly vee belt is also interchangeable, but for some reason the old magna belt is maybe a half inch wider. New one works fine, except it looks a little strange.
hope this helps you. I would call shopsmith and talk to them. Unless they have changed something in 3 years, they CAN supply you with the correct belts, be happy and friendly doing so, but will probably be backordered somewhat.
mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Keep in mind the 'literature' containing part numbers was created by multiple 'companies'. I think the changing part numbers are caused by the different players. Further sometimes the parts are altered in some way and that may cause a new part number.

Not sure what you are referring to in regard to the poly-v belt width changing. I recently replaced my original 1960s belt and the size(width) was the same. They were always narrower than the pulleys.

You might want to consider the following. They have just recently become available.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpost.htm?p=51337&postcount=15

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/se ... =0&sst=All

I am not aware anyone has tried one yet.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
steveogden
Bronze Member

Post by steveogden »

Yet another update... with helpful advice here, I was able to re-install the DRIVE belt (again, my first post citing my V-belt was wrong, my v-belt is fine.) However, while I did as instructed, and confirmed it was set to highest speed before shutting down to replace belt, when I started back up, there was a definite heavy load on the motor, so I shut off before I blew the circuit. Again, I'm totally naive here, but wouldn't I want to set to a lower speed (while manually turning the spindle) before starting back up? or is there any easy guess why I might be having the heavy load? (Again, I still have some fear that the drive belt on it is too short (it took some force to loop it onto the sheave)).
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

steveogden wrote:Yet another update... with helpful advice here, I was able to re-install the DRIVE belt (again, my first post citing my V-belt was wrong, my v-belt is fine.) However, while I did as instructed, and confirmed it was set to highest speed before shutting down to replace belt, when I started back up, there was a definite heavy load on the motor, so I shut off before I blew the circuit. Again, I'm totally naive here, but wouldn't I want to set to a lower speed (while manually turning the spindle) before starting back up? or is there any easy guess why I might be having the heavy load? (Again, I still have some fear that the drive belt on it is too short (it took some force to loop it onto the sheave)).

While manually rotating the output shaft, run the speed control all the way down to slow.

It would be normal to struggle starting up at the high speed setting. This is why it is recommended to turn it down when shutting off. It is more of a problem with house wiring branch circuits that are minimal/marginal (15A with other loads).

Just to help us keep your 'belts' straight, the belt from the motor to the idler pulley/control sheave is a v-belt. The belt from the idler shaft to the output shaft is a poly-v belt. They are also referred to as the motor belt and the drive belt. The best names are motor belt and poly-v belt since they won't be mis-interpreted.

P.S. The motor belt is difficult to put on(need to strong arm it!). It should settle in running just inside the outer edge of the motor sheave when set to high speed. IIRC you are working on a Mark 7 and I am not aware of a 'high speed' adjustment for it like the Mark 5/Vs have..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝