10 E Knobs

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

10 E Knobs

Post by JPG »

The 10 E which I recently acquired had these 4 sizes of 1/2-13 knobs.

Where is each one intended to be used? The possible places are:

1) To lock in vertical position(drill press)

2) To lock down(at the tie bar/head rest)

3) To attach tail stock to either tie bar end or hinged end

4) To secure an extension table to the tail stock.

5) ?????

[ATTACH]7926[/ATTACH]
Attachments
10 e knobs.jpg
10 e knobs.jpg (94.53 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I went out to my ERs to double check and 3 of your 4 bolts are slightly different from mine. But given all of the slight revisions throughout the ER's lifetime, I don't guess that's a big surprise. But here's what I think you have from left to right with an explanation of how they are different from mine.

Extension table support bracket. Nobody knows why it's so long. Yours is just like mine.

Headrest lock. Mine is shaped exactly like the extension table support bolt, but 2" long instead of 3". The tie bar fits perfectly around this knob.

Tailstock to base arm plate. Mine is 1-1/2" and the bottom 1/8" of the shaft is not threaded. I'm actually not completely certain this is the correct location, but I don't know where else it would go.

Vertical (drill press) lock. Mine is 1-1/4" and the end is more rounded than yours.

Here's a picture of my 4 knobs/bolts. The far left one (extension table support bracket) is just like yours. The others are slightly different.

Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Use the little one to lock into vertical. And none of these lock the extension table on an E. An E uses a wing nut, but you already knew that didnt you? Did I pass the 10E test? Is there a prize??
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mark-b wrote:Use the little one to lock into vertical. And none of these lock the extension table on an E. An E uses a wing nut, but you already knew that didnt you? Did I pass the 10E test? Is there a prize??

Ahh! You see although I have a 10E, there are some ER parts included and some missing. It came with adjustable tailstock and extension table, but without the 'original(E)' non-adjustable tailstock with studs/wing nuts. The 'studded' tailstock still needs to be secured with one of these to the base.

No prize,but Thanks to you both!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
johnnywalker
Bronze Member

Re: 10 E Knobs

Post by johnnywalker »

Good Day,

I am looking for 3" knob for my 10E, any idea where one can acquire one.

JW.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

johnnywalker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:34 am Good Day,

I am looking for 3" knob for my 10E, any idea where one can acquire one.

JW.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124958390581?h ... SwDxxhbCv7 :D :D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

johnnywalker,

If you are looking for the one on the left in the pictures above that holds the Extension Table Bracket to the Tailstock the link JPG gave has it but several other items you may not need and is a bit pricey. Keep an eye out for one and you should be able to get one without so many extras and more reasonable. I find most of the individual parts I need for restorations on ebay. In the mean time if you want to use your Extension Table you could use a long enough 1/2" bolt and washer to hold it on the Tailstock.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.