Link PowerTwist V-Belt Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Ron309753 wrote:Bill,

I'm going to pick up a Powertwist belt this weekend to put on my greenie. I know you use 35 links. Does it make any difference which way the links are pointing (if that makes sense)? Also, does the Powertwist belt cause any speed restrictions until it get worn in?

Thanks,

Ron
Thanks for the question. YES, I have a specific direction that I mount the link V-belt. I want the inner tips of each link to fold down as it rotates around the sheaves. do not have a break in period when using a link belt. I stay away from min and max speed settings for a few hours.
[ATTACH]10201[/ATTACH]
Attachments
100_0062.JPG
100_0062.JPG (92.77 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I assume that means that the link belt would not be a good choice for a reversing-direction motor like the PowerPro?

Gary
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I believe the Power Pro uses two Poly V Belts. The regular belts would not be of any use there.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
e.friedl
Gold Member

Post by e.friedl »

Well then to repeat the earlier question slightly rephrased. Then a link belt would not be advisable for the reversible Mark VII?
Ed Friedl
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

e.friedl wrote:Well then to repeat the earlier question slightly rephrased. Then a link belt would not be advisable for the reversible Mark VII?
Ed Friedl
I have not seen any information on the link V-belt specificing a direction. I only offered my opinion as to how I use the link V-belts. Many times I use a link belt when I have modified motor locations. No wear on steel pulleys when using the link V-belt. I do get a fine aluminum dust from the headstock sheaves when using the link V-belt. I found the wear on the sheaves from the link V-belt was acceptable to me after a few hundred hours.

In fact, I find the normal V-belt appears to wear grooves in the sheaves whereas the link V-belt leaves a nice smooth finish on the sheaves. I reface all the sheaves before using them. I have switched to using a Kevlar V-belt for my personal headstocks. I need a few hundred hours on one of my headstocks to see how much the Kevler V-belt will wear the sheaves compared to normal and link V-belts.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

e.friedl wrote:Well then to repeat the earlier question slightly rephrased. Then a link belt would not be advisable for the reversible Mark VII?
Ed Friedl
No they would not. Link type v-belts are generally specified for non-reversing drives. Here is an installation guide for Fenner PowerTwist Plus v-belts:[ATTACH]10217[/ATTACH]
Section IV specifies the arrow should point in the drive direction. These belts are very handy when the center to center distance of the drive is not adjustable as they can be stretched over the sheaves without the belt cord damage that normal v-belts would suffer.
Attachments
ptpinstall.pdf
(243.05 KiB) Downloaded 1491 times
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Re: Link PowerTwist V-Belt Question

Post by Sazerac81 »

Reviving an old question:

How has wear been on the sheaves for anyone that has done this and had the setup going for a few years?

Cheers,
John
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I have switched back to using link belts on all my personal reversible Shopsmiths. I like the reduced vibrations and noise in the headstock. I have a few thousand hours using link belts without any problems. The wear on the sheaves were within tolerance for me. I used 36 links on a couple of my Shopsmiths.
Sazerac81
Gold Member

Post by Sazerac81 »

Thanks for chiming in Bill. A quick question about how many links you've used in each Shopsmith. I see quoted 35 links in some threads and then you just said 36 links now. Do you base the difference between 35 and 36 link usage on sound from the headstock, ease of changing speed dial or some other criteria.

Hope you are well!
John