1962 Goldie Disassembly

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ddvann79
Gold Member

1962 Goldie Disassembly

Post by ddvann79 »

Restoration Index

Useful Links Disassembly - Major Assemblies, Headstock 1, Headstock 2, Idler Shaft Spring and Speedial Set Screw Location, Minor Assemblies
Maintenance Tips - Lubricate Frequently, LocTite, Zoom Spout
Cleaning - Dusty's Tips, Chris's Rebuild Tips, JPG's Tips
Paint - Priming and application of "Hammered" Product, Painting Tips #1, Paint Test - Undercoating, Primed vs. Unprimed, Hammered Finish Different from Later Models, Red Paint for Depth Stop, Access Cover and Speed Dial Handle, Speed Dial Ring, Painting Sheet Metal Legs,
Name Plate Rivets/Screws - Removal, Removal in Tact, Rivet Composition
Pork Chop/Quadrant - Teeth Wear, Bill Mayo Solution, Poor Porkchop Repair, New Speed Control, Leaving the Packing Grease, Rough Adjustment for High Speed Adjustment on new Speed Control, Wiring
Bearings - VXB Bearing, Shopsmith Bearing for Single-Bearing Quill, Bearing Discussion, Installation Tips, Tips 2
Rust Removal - Evaporust for Tubes, Tubes on Hand Drill Lathe, Belt Sander for Tubes, Krud Kutter Test 1, KK Test 2, Evaporust vs. Electrolosis, Evaporust Beats Krud Kutter 1, Evaporust Beats Krud Kutter 2
A.O. Smith Motor - Photos, End Plates, End Plate #1, End Plate #2, Instructions 2, Internal Photos, Basic Diagram
Table Trunnion - Labeled Photo, OK Solution - Filing the Stud, Photos of the OK Solution, Better Solution - Back the Stud out With the Handle
Quill Spring - Bent End, The Cause and One Solution, Forming the Spring End, Mounting the Quill Spring on the Stud
Quill Feed Washer - Does the Goldie Need One?, Not Necessarily
High Speed Adjustment - What Happens Without It, Rough Adjustment, More on the HS Adjustment
Burned Up Motor - The Symptoms, Ohm Readings
Base Assembly - Photos, Leveling, Casting Defect, Tube Depth Solution
Completion - Photos, Video

Well, I finally got a free weekend and got Dad's Goldie disassembled to the major assemblies. I've hit it with penetrating oil a few times and fiddling with it off and on until now. It took some searching of this forum before I figured out NOT to drill out the retaining pin in the base arm but to punch it through. I also was slow to realize there were set screws that held the tubes in place under all those dirt dobber nests.

Now comes the task of tacking each assembly and I'm starting with the carriage. I'm still waiting on a copy of a manual I ordered on Ebay to come in. Until then (and probably after), I'm gingerly applying leverage to some of these parts in fear of stripping threads or breaking a casting. I'm having trouble getting the lock rod to come loose from the wedges in the carriage. The exploded view in the online repair catalog hasn't been much help so far. I feel like I need something to hold one wedge tight and then back the rod out of it. Am I right? I guess the same goes for the pinion shaft. Is the retaining washer all that's holding it in place?

Here are some photos of the project so far. I've also run into a casting defect that should be fun to repair.

Getting Started:
[ATTACH]10832[/ATTACH]

Headstock, carriage and way tubes:
[ATTACH]10831[/ATTACH]

Carriage underside with dirt dobber nests:
[ATTACH]10833[/ATTACH]

All disassembled:
[ATTACH]10834[/ATTACH]

Tubes and dirt dobbers again:
[ATTACH]10835[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG01122-20101107-2054.jpg
IMG01122-20101107-2054.jpg (159.92 KiB) Viewed 10386 times
DSCF1144.JPG
DSCF1144.JPG (175.05 KiB) Viewed 10355 times
IMG01123-20101107-2057.jpg
IMG01123-20101107-2057.jpg (159.48 KiB) Viewed 10441 times
IMG01131-20101107-2126.jpg
IMG01131-20101107-2126.jpg (162.5 KiB) Viewed 10355 times
IMG01134-20101107-2128.jpg
IMG01134-20101107-2128.jpg (147.62 KiB) Viewed 10479 times
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Seeing your beast brings back fond memories for me. I'll be watching your progress for sure.

Something in this thread should help you out with your tubes.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I restored a 1960 Goldie that looks to have been only a little better than yours. Here's the link to my thread:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=390
See posts # 13 and #15 for way and bench tube restoration info. I love the Goldies and can't wait to see yours restored! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

mickyd wrote:Something in this thread should help you out with your tubes.
Thanks, Mike. I've got your community thread index, 1955 Greenie Restoration Index, and Everything Mark 5 pages all bookmarked. I have a bad habit of just wanting to look at the pictures though!
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

easterngray wrote:I restored a 1960 Goldie that looks to have been only a little better than yours. Here's the link to my thread:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=390
See posts # 13 and #15 for way and bench tube restoration info. I love the Goldies and can't wait to see yours restored! Alec
Alec, your machine is definitely an inspiration. Seeing yours reminds me there are some parts I'd like to add to mine, like the miter slot extension and grip. Dad says he never had those extras. I'm just hoping we find all the other parts to this machine that are still missing some time this Christmas. Things like the drill chuck, lathe and sanding discs, chisels, wrenches, blades, etc. They are supposedly in a box "somewhere" in one of his storage buildings. If it wasn't bolted or rusted to the SS when I picked it up, I don't have it. Dad says he wants to wait until the cold weather sets in to go digging through boxes to avoid the copper heads. I think he just doesn't want to look through stuff that has been in boxes for 30 years.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

ddvann79 wrote:Thanks, Mike. I've got your community thread index, 1955 Greenie Restoration Index, and Everything Mark 5 pages all bookmarked. I have a bad habit of just wanting to look at the pictures though!
Glad you found those Dalton. There is a lot of miscellaneous reading in those. The indexes in the first post will definitely help locate info vs. weeding through the entire threads. Where there's info, there's usual photo involved. (you can tell I like taking pictures :D )
Mike
Sunny San Diego
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

mickyd wrote:Where there's info, there's usual photo involved. (you can tell I like taking pictures :D )
And I appreciate it! I'm the same way. I like video too and digital cameras make that pretty easy to do. Here's a video on my most recent tinkering project: a homemade hobby table saw. I'm experimenting with video editing in Windows 7. :D I hope to post some videos of this Goldie restoration project also.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
ddvann79
Gold Member

Disassembly Instructions

Post by ddvann79 »

This instruction set for disassembly would have been nice to have last weekend. I just found it today, tucked away in the PDF "Files and Plans" from a Sawdust Session. Would have saved me from beating on a tie bar with set screws still in place. :rolleyes:

Another point in favor of a Shopsmith Wiki.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

ddvann79 wrote:And I appreciate it! I'm the same way. I like video too and digital cameras make that pretty easy to do. Here's a video on my most recent tinkering project: a homemade hobby table saw. I'm experimenting with video editing in Windows 7. :D I hope to post some videos of this Goldie restoration project also.
Nice job on the video. I just saw your post from yesterday. Spent the day yesterday in 'sin city' for work so playing ShopSmith catch up.

That's a pretty cool 'cheap man's' table saw. Good presentation too. Got to admit though you freaked me out with your hands getting so close to the blade. Be careful!!
Mike
Sunny San Diego
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

Thanks, Mike. Several people have mentioned getting my hands too close. It might be the camera angle or my sensibilities are just unsafe.

I've spent the last few evenings researching the headstock rebuild and general disassembly. Since I'm new to the SS and since this machine hasn't been run in 30 years, I want to get a pretty firm grip on the mechanics of this thing before I crack it open. Incidentally, this is opposite my usual take-it-apart-first ask-questions-later approach.

EDIT 11-10-10: I've received several admonitions now from some experienced people stating that my fingers are too close to the blade in the table saw video. I have to admit... they are right. It's not smart to have the table sitting that high, as it is difficult to judge the distance to the blade, especially when reaching over it. Also, I had the blade a full 1" too high for the stock I was cutting. None of my family members have commented on the safety issue so maybe if they thought it wasn't an issue (and that's who I learned shop safety from) that's why I didn't think it was. Thanks to everyone for pointing that out and I hope all the novices out there everyone learns something from this.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie