1956 Mark V restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

russsaw wrote:Here's a few pictures of my electrolysis setup.
I HOPE your KNOT using galvanized greenfield in that bath. Use ONLY steel, so ya don't get HARMFUL CHEMICALS released.:eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

as far as I know I have only used been using steel, but I have to ask what is galvanized greenfield?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

IF I have it right. Greenfield is the flexible metal conduit used to protect electric wires.

http://www.flex-tubes.com/greenfield-flexible-conduit.html
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The tubes(or any thing else) need polishing after electrolysis. There will be a thin black oxide on them.

Notice the 'action' is only on the side of the saw blade facing the 'anode' which does indeed appear to be either galvanized or plated armored (BX) electrical cable. Deeper water and side to side facing of the electrodes would work better since the reaction is essentially 'line of sight' across the electrolyte.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

Thanks for the info. That pic was from my initial electrolysis setup. I have become much more sophisticated since. ;)

as far as polishing goes. I have been mainly just sanding the tubes with a fine grit wet/dry paper. but there's still a bunch of carbon there. Would further electrolysis eventually remove this too. it does still bubble when I put the tubes back in.

what are the best polishing compounds? I have my joiner in the electrolysis back right now. It was covered in rust. I didn't take it apart, just put if right in there overnight. running about 4 amps. who thinks I should I dissemble it completely? got to check the mailbox today to see if my new bearings have arrived.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="russsaw"]Thanks for the info. That pic was from my initial electrolysis setup. I have become much more sophisticated since. ]
I do not think there is any 'carbon' there. It is more likely black oxide. Once you get the red rust off, that is the one instance where I recommend naval jelly. It will remove the blackoxide very quickly with a minimum of 'rubbing' with a fine abrasive pad. It does not need to be on the part thick enough nor long enough to eat away a significant amount of 'good iron'. Wear rubber gloves(it IS acid!). Polishing should then be more easily accomplished(It will rust very quickly at that point)(wax immediately!)

Re the jointer: Personally I would break it down, but that is 'your' decision!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

yeah I am have decided to break down most everything. I took the legs apart this evening. one of them is soaking in the electrolysis bucket now.

I am gonna want to strip a lot of the aluminum and repaint. The legs need to be stripped and repainted too. I bought some rust-oleum rust reformer and I think I am gonna use it as a primer. I have a couple of cans of shopsmith green paint from the website too. any tips? I was worried about putting on too much paint and covering screw threading.

I am gonna search the forum for previous advice. links would be appreciated. thanks
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

Well scratch that. I read that rust-oleum rust reformer is only good for spray parts that have rust on them. since I am removing all the rust with the electrolysis I will have no rust to spray (hopefully).

I read that I should just a self etching primer instead. back to the store again. don't care much for going to the store
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

Russ,

Mike's restoration thread covers paint, as well as mine.

You are correct not to use the rust converter. It has oil in it that bonds with the rust. If you don't have rust, you just end up with oily metal - not too good as a primer for paint.

Regarding the self etching primer: some people have had good luck with it and I have had mixed results. The Rustoleum Hammered products can be applied with or without primer. I have found that in situations where I used this primer under the finish coat, it actually chips more easily than if the paint was applied directly to the unfinished metal. I don't know if it has anything to do with the chemical composition of the Gold and Copper colors I used. Mike said he hasn't had any problems with the Verde Green and Silver. My inclination is to use the self etching primer to the insides of the castings for protection and not use it under the finish coat. I also found that to develop the hammered finish, it requires more of the finish paint than without the primer.

Use news paper and masking tape to fill in the larger holes in the casting. I didn't worry about the screw threads and just tapped out the excess paint for clean threads with a tap and die set. This generally cleans up the threads, which is a positive.

Oh, and practice developing the texture on a piece of cardboard before applying to the metal. It's a bit finicky. You have to apply so much paint that it almost runs. It will require a second coat to fill in pin holes left by the texture, which must also be heavy. Spray only left to right, relative to the can nozzle because it sprays a vertical ellipse shape, as opposed to a circle.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

great information. thank you.

I bought a can of the Shopsmith Gray (595706) and a can of the Teal (555572) from the Shopsmith website a while back. I am now thinking that's not gonna be enough paint. How many can you reckon?

I'll best that the Rustoleum Hammered paint is less expensive, but it probably won't math the two cans I already have.