1956 Mark V restoration

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ddvann79 wrote:Russ,

Mike's restoration thread covers paint, as well as mine.

You are correct not to use the rust converter. It has oil in it that bonds with the rust. If you don't have rust, you just end up with oily metal - not too good as a primer for paint.

Regarding the self etching primer: some people have had good luck with it and I have had mixed results. The Rustoleum Hammered products can be applied with or without primer. I have found that in situations where I used this primer under the finish coat, it actually chips more easily than if the paint was applied directly to the unfinished metal. I don't know if it has anything to do with the chemical composition of the Gold and Copper colors I used. Mike said he hasn't had any problems with the Verde Green and Silver. My inclination is to use the self etching primer to the insides of the castings for protection and not use it under the finish coat. I also found that to develop the hammered finish, it requires more of the finish paint than without the primer.

Use news paper and masking tape to fill in the larger holes in the casting. I didn't worry about the screw threads and just tapped out the excess paint for clean threads with a tap and die set. This generally cleans up the threads, which is a positive.

Oh, and practice developing the texture on a piece of cardboard before applying to the metal. It's a bit finicky. You have to apply so much paint that it almost runs. It will require a second coat to fill in pin holes left by the texture, which must also be heavy. Spray only left to right, relative to the can nozzle because it sprays a vertical ellipse shape, as opposed to a circle.

How does 'unidirectionality' help?:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

russsaw wrote:great information. thank you.

I bought a can of the Shopsmith Gray (595706) and a can of the Teal (555572) from the Shopsmith website a while back. I am now thinking that's not gonna be enough paint. How many can you reckon?

I'll best that the Rustoleum Hammered paint is less expensive, but it probably won't math the two cans I already have.
Gray and Teal. Now that's an interesting combo. Is it the light gray or dark gray Shopsmith paint?

The number of cans will depend on what you chose to paint. For my Goldie it took two cans of Copper and six of Gold because the headstock, legs and carriage are all gold. A relatively small number of parts are copper on that machine. The Rustoleum hammered products are stocked at my local Wal-Mart so when I needed more, I just ran down the road until I reached the magic number.

For the Greenie there is a different paint proportion. Everything is green except the motor pan and headstock casting - the legs are also green. I don't know if it would still take two cans for the headstock (gray, I assume) because the Rustoleum requires two coats and it likely covers in a different manner from the SS paint. Currently it is on back order, by the way. It may just take one can. I would guess you are looking at six or seven cans of the Tealto cover the rest, assuming the color proportions of the original greenie. That's a pretty big expense for spray paint, if you ask me. The Rustolem products were about $8 a can for me. Plus, are you sure you really want the whole thing that color of teal? I'm just asking. :D How close is that to the hand-painted color? If it's close it will likely require fewer coats.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

ok now I am a bit confused. I thought that the teal was the original color of the greenie. I just want to bring it back to it's original paint job. what's the best way to do that. You mentioned hand painted? can you hand paint it?

I could borrow a paint spray from a friend.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

The original green paint from Magna is no longer available and is nowhere close to the teal on the scroll saw. The closest match is the Rustoleum Verde green hammered finish. My jointer and jigsaw are the original magna green but somewhere along the line the shopsmith was painted a really ugly blue. I want to re-paint mine so I'm interested in the paint quantity as well.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

ok that makes since. I will go get some Rust-oleum Verde green. anyone wanna buy a can of teal for their scroll saw?
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

russsaw wrote:...I thought that the teal was the original color of the greenie. I just want to bring it back to it's original paint job. what's the best way to do that. You mentioned hand painted? can you hand paint it? ...
Sorry, Russ. I confused your thread with someone else who had painted his machine with a brush. If you have a Greenie, I would closely follow Mike's restoration and paint choice of Verde Green and Silver. The Rustoleum Hammered line is the only spray paint that I am aware of that achieves the original texture. If you paint it teal, it's going to look like the scroll saw in that previous link. If you ask me, not a pretty color.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

No problem at all, and thanks for the help thus far. Today I am really trying to focus on getting the way tubes cleaned up. I already removed all the rust but still have lots of black oxide on the tubes. One tube looks pretty good (actually done with a potato) but the other are still dull. I tried navel jelly about an hour ago with very limited success. I even left it on longer than recommend. I just now hooked up a steel wire brush to my cordless drill and went at just the end of one of the tubes and it does brush off real nice except that it has small scratches left from the brush. I am not sure if I want to go forward with the wire brush due to the scratches. any suggestions out there...
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

russsaw wrote:No problem at all, and thanks for the help thus far. Today I am really trying to focus on getting the way tubes cleaned up. I already removed all the rust but still have lots of black oxide on the tubes. One tube looks pretty good (actually done with a potato) but the other are still dull. I tried navel jelly about an hour ago with very limited success. I even left it on longer than recommend. I just now hooked up a steel wire brush to my cordless drill and went at just the end of one of the tubes and it does brush off real nice except that it has small scratches left from the brush. I am not sure if I want to go forward with the wire brush due to the scratches. any suggestions out there...
I had some very heavy rust on my tubes that I dispatched with evaporust, then wire brush, then 50 grit flapper wheel, then 120, 320, and finally 400 grit sandpaper. I used a hand drill with a plumbing test plug chucked in to spin the tubes. I had some old roller blade wheels to use for a tailstock at the other end. Paste wax finished it off, but I still had some swirl marks from the wire brush and flapper wheel. I'd rather have some light scratches than rust so I let it go.

I hated Naval Jelly. Just about worthless on thick rust deposits. I soaked mine in a PVC tube with 50/50 evaporust and water to increase the volume.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

ddvann79 wrote:then 50 grit flapper wheel, then 120, 320, and finally 400 grit sandpaper.

but I still had some swirl marks from the wire brush and flapper wheel.

No wonder ya had swirl marks. Ya SKIPPED a few grits. :eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
russsaw
Gold Member

Post by russsaw »

what kind of sander did you use? I don't have an electric sander available cause the shopsmith is in pieces! I actually just bought the shopsmith belt sander. I could try it by hand but that sounds like some work.

I do have a drill that I could spin the tubes with.