Newowner Informaton

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ash1562
Gold Member

Re: Newowner Informaton

Post by Ash1562 »

Thank you sir! I'll give that a try and keep you posted.
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

It's amazing how much quieter and smoother she sounds after being all oiled up! I love this tool
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Looking forward to hear of your progress with projects.

You’ve found a home here.

Everett
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

In the last few weeks, I've been tooling around and finally have learned my way around the Mark VII. I got a new blade, which cuts like a hot knife in butter. The speed control issues have gone away except for the higher end - if I want to route at 3500rpm, the dial will run away and jam the belt inside the shieves and I can't dial it back down. I then have to open the back cover, un-jam the belt and hand-wind it back down. I think I'm going to start using some external catch to prevent this from happening. Otherwise - it's everything I'd imagine and more!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sounds like a narrow belt/high speed stop/idler shaft positioning problem.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

Could it be that the belt has worn thin from use? I've checked and made sure all other hardware is as it should be, according to Everettes diagrams.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ash1562 wrote:Could it be that the belt has worn thin from use? I've checked and made sure all other hardware is as it should be, according to Everettes diagrams.
If an original belt fer sure. Check to see if it is less than 1/2" across the outer/widest edge.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ash1562
Gold Member

Post by Ash1562 »

So I finally did this...and yup, it's 1/2" wide all through the circumference of the belt...could it be the two round detente pins that aren't pushing back on the dial?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ash1562 wrote:So I finally did this...and yup, it's 1/2" wide all through the circumference of the belt...could it be the two round detente pins that aren't pushing back on the dial?
When new the belts were slightly wider than 1/2". Weak detent pin springs, fer sure. Also slop of the knob/dial and the shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

DGear74
Silver Member

Post by DGear74 »

Maintenance, speed control, headstock

Bought a used mark v, 1979 was the year or manufacture I believe. I was trying to clean up the inside of the headstock and fix a sticky speed control and took the speed control off...not according to the instructions (this was before I realized the wealth of information out there about the machines). The speed control doesn’t turn easily, I had to really crank on it to turn. It shouldn’t be like that right? Should I replace that part?

Should I go ahead and take apart the whole headstock to clean and lubricate? The machine was kept outside and only turned on three times by the guy I bought it from. It runs, but flipped breakers a couple times. Thanks for the help.