Newowner Informaton

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

iaokie
Gold Member

Newto site

Post by iaokie »

Hi ya'll new to shop smith and this site
Live in Oklahoma , 50 ish havent done any woodworking since school over 43 years now. Have been welding for the past 37 years... man I'm feeling older as I type ! Currently welding aircraft parts...Will have many questions but i'll search the forum first to find answers if I can .... so here goes
Thought I found a good deal on a Mark VII but now realize parts are hard to find I ordered a owners manual because I know nothing about this machine or how to use it correctly. Its been sitting in a shop for probably 20 years The motor runs and sounds good but belts are very hard and will not turn blade so I released drive belt to test run motor.Cam controller is worn and was removed by previous owner need one or some thing that will replace it Don't know if i can use it for now with out this controller Heavy rust on way bars ? so is this worth restoring and be able to use it or should I get out now before investing more time and money
Thanks for any help,comments,suggestion or sympathy
rele
Gold Member

Post by rele »

beeg wrote:So ya bought one. Now HOW do ya get it home.

LOL! this seemed relevant...

We brought mine home yesterday, and at a 500 miles(each way) road trip. Mark V with band saw and a truck load of dark walnut wood. WOW! what a long drive, lol.

tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

ddvann79 wrote:A few good links:

3. If your machine didn't come with a copy of "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" I highly recommend it, as it has much how-to information in it and a lot of great ideas for jigs and homemade accessories.
If you are new to the Shopsmith this is the book to have! I bought mine on-line from ECamous for $4.00, paid more in shipping than the book cost, but the information you get here is invaluable. Especially for use new guys. So if your new to the Shopsmith or even just looking at purchasing one, you need to get this book.
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tgamel wrote:If you are new to the Shopsmith this is the book to have! I bought mine on-line from ECamous for $4.00, paid more in shipping than the book cost, but the information you get here is invaluable. Especially for use new guys. So if your new to the Shopsmith or even just looking at purchasing one, you need to get this book.
There are several different 'versions' that were created as the shopsmith evolved from the 10E to the '520' and I assume there will be a Mark 7 version eventually(author unknown). Any will do as a reference since most(not all) of the woodworking operations demonstrated are essentially identical(almost). The machine model differences are readily thought through.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tparnell
Bronze Member

Post by tparnell »

Hey thank you for all this good info. I am going to pick up my 500 tomorrow. He is asking $450. Being the kind that likes to haggle a little bit I am going to offer $400. Is that being cheap? I dunno but an extra $50 in my pocket can buy something for my new/old machine. My wife wants me to get rid of all the other machines the 500 will replace. Cramped garage. I thought that was reasonable on her part. Good wife, we've been married 50 years and I am retiring from the Sheriff's Dept. Dec 18. The 500 will be what keeps me busy. I will let you know how my venture tomorrow turns out!!
Tom:D
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

tparnell wrote:Hey thank you for all this good info. I am going to pick up my 500 tomorrow. He is asking $450. Being the kind that likes to haggle a little bit I am going to offer $400. Is that being cheap? I dunno but an extra $50 in my pocket can buy something for my new/old machine. My wife wants me to get rid of all the other machines the 500 will replace. Cramped garage. I thought that was reasonable on her part. Good wife, we've been married 50 years and I am retiring from the Sheriff's Dept. Dec 18. The 500 will be what keeps me busy. I will let you know how my venture tomorrow turns out!!
Nice welcome to the SS world and welcome also to retirement (and thanks for all the year's of service protecting and serving). Definitely nothing wrong with haggling - it's a buyer's market. In that scenario I'd have the $400 in one pocket and the remaining $50 in the other pocket...pull out the stack o' $20's and chances are the seller will gladly take it to free up the space the 500 he no longer wants is taking up. If not, the remainder is there if he counters or wants the full price. Once you get it, make sure to post photos so we can see what you got :)

Oh, and as for the wife, tell her if she doesn't worry about what you cram in the garage, you won't worry about what she crams in the clothing closet ;)
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

tparnell wrote:Hey thank you for all this good info. I am going to pick up my 500 tomorrow. He is asking $450. Being the kind that likes to haggle a little bit I am going to offer $400. Is that being cheap? I dunno but an extra $50 in my pocket can buy something for my new/old machine. My wife wants me to get rid of all the other machines the 500 will replace. Cramped garage. I thought that was reasonable on her part. Good wife, we've been married 50 years and I am retiring from the Sheriff's Dept. Dec 18. The 500 will be what keeps me busy. I will let you know how my venture tomorrow turns out!!
Welcome to the forum, and the life of retirement. "Its Great" We would like to see pictures when you get it.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
sc0tty0
Bronze Member

10-ER owner's guide and more

Post by sc0tty0 »

Recently acquired well kept model 10er with manuals and books, etc. I think it has most of the attachments and looking forward to using. If anyone is interested about copies of manuals and some Delta woodworking books, let me know.
Scott
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

I wanted a SS for along time, and picked up a 10 ER for next to nothing a few years ago. It was still in use by a carpenter but not very well cared for, but the price was right and I restore cars and motorcycles so I wasn't initimidated by little R&R. Mechanical work is easy for me, I think woodworking is much more difficult to do correctly.

Between transferring jobs, moving across country, nearly getting married, and a steady stream of vehicle projects, the 10 ER has been gathering dust for almost 3 years. But I have a small garage and I need to build shelving to reclaim my workspace so this has finally made it to the top of the priority list.

Basically I'm looking at removing rust, repainting, cleaning out internals and repacking grease, and replacing anything missing/damaged. Motor and head ran smooth and tubes are straight so shouldn't be awful.
nothungry3
Gold Member

Post by nothungry3 »

Don't despair. If you didn't pay too much, you could recoup your investment by selling it for parts. Please tell me if you have any accessories.