Newowner Informaton

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Newowner Informaton

Post by beeg »

It should be lube about every ten hours with about 6 to 8 drops of oil.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
moiramph
Gold Member

Post by moiramph »

Look into our new program for "Getting Started with your Shopsmith".

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/star ... signup.htm
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

moiramph wrote:Look into our new program for "Getting Started with your Shopsmith".

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/star ... signup.htm

Added that link to the stickey!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RichardS
Bronze Member

Post by RichardS »

Dave,
We just bought a house in Somersett (Reno) and I'll be living back and forth between Henderson and Reno for the next few months, but will be moving my Shopsmith up there at some point. I'd sure like to be in contact with other Shopsmith owners in Reno. Do you know of others? RichardS at schori@cox.net.
RBasye75
Bronze Member

Post by RBasye75 »

Thank you so much for the links! I just bought a '56 greenie from a friend. I'm not sure how long he's had it sitting in his shop so it's probably best to just take it all apart and clean/lube it up before even plugging it in. I'm researching as much as I can so that we can get it up and running soon... lots of home improvement projects coming up as the weather starts getting nice :) The info is greatly appreciated, especially for those of us with vintage units.
Tad
Silver Member

Post by Tad »

Hoping for the benefit of you all's experience. I just bought a shopsmith on craigslist it is a mark 5 510. it was all in factory boxes and although it is 22 years old it has never even been plugged in and no manual I sent away for one. my question is will it show me how to put it together or can I get that info some where else. p.s. I sent the head sock to have new bearings and belts and to get oiled.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Tad wrote:Hoping for the benefit of you all's experience. I just bought a shopsmith on craigslist it is a mark 5 510. it was all in factory boxes and although it is 22 years old it has never even been plugged in and no manual I sent away for one. my question is will it show me how to put it together or can I get that info some where else. p.s. I sent the head sock to have new bearings and belts and to get oiled.
yes
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
LRBF
Bronze Member

Post by LRBF »

My father-in-law bought me a model 10ER which I only received on Tuesday if this week. I haven't had time yet to start going over it to see what needs attention. It has a little bit of rust on it and could definitely use a good lubing. Honestly, I have no idea where to start, but I have noticed some pieces are missing. I need the blade insert, and a fence to start, plus I'm not sure what is supposed to be on the plate for the disc sander, and the mitre gauge is missing. I'm excited to have this tool and want to get it to like new condition before I start using it. Could I get a few suggestions on where to start and where to buy the missing pieces.

"Little Red Barn Farm"
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

LRBF wrote:My father-in-law bought me a model 10ER which I only received on Tuesday if this week. I haven't had time yet to start going over it to see what needs attention. It has a little bit of rust on it and could definitely use a good lubing. Honestly, I have no idea where to start, but I have noticed some pieces are missing. I need the blade insert, and a fence to start, plus I'm not sure what is supposed to be on the plate for the disc sander, and the mitre gauge is missing. I'm excited to have this tool and want to get it to like new condition before I start using it. Could I get a few suggestions on where to start and where to buy the missing pieces.

"Little Red Barn Farm"
Welcome to the Family....

I would suggest that you create a New Topic post in the Maintenance and Repair thread so that your individual project doesn't get blended into a host of other questions and answers.

This will enable forum members to specifically address individual questions in your journey, and create a thread where you can post pictures of the issues and the progress of your journey.

That said, it doesn't mean someone will not go down a bunny trail and temporarily hijack your thread, but it will re-center as others weigh in.

To your specific questions Mickyd's "Everything Mark 5 / V - Technical info, documentation, links" has tons of info and his restoration thread for his own 10ER is a great road-map.

You may also like some documentation to help you in your journey. In "Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More" under the link My Google Drive you will find much on the 10E & 10ER including fully restored PDF's of the Preliminary Manual, the 10E Owner's Guide, the 10ER Owner's Guide and a specific document titled Shopsmith [Magna] 10E to 10ER Production Changes through the years.

One of the first things in determining what you have missing can best be evaluated once you determine what you have in relation to the changes or upgrades that you have.

It will help you find the bits and pieces on eBay that might benefit your restoration, for as you will find soon enough, some folks there are selling parts on machines they are disassembling, but don't truly know what they have.

Good luck! You have an interesting father-in-law. Is he a Shopsmith owner? This could be a Father/Son In-Law bonding project.

I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

Everett
Rich
Bronze Member

Re: Newowner Informaton 10er lathe duplicators needed

Post by Rich »

I have 150 posts to make for an old victorian.porch so in need of help on any solutions for replication fixtures needed to run prefect replacements
Best if possible to buy a lsthe replicator the adapt it to its model
Anyone have any ideas?
Rich