Newowner Informaton

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Newowner Informaton 10er lathe duplicators needed

Post by JPG »

Rich wrote:I have 150 posts to make for an old victorian.porch so in need of help on any solutions for replication fixtures needed to run prefect replacements
Best if possible to buy a lsthe replicator the adapt it to its model
Anyone have any ideas?
Rich
You will have to create one for the model 10.

Yes it has been done.

Check out Shipwright's thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Newowner Informaton 10er lathe duplicators needed

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
Rich wrote:I have 150 posts to make for an old Victorian porch, so in need of help on any solutions for replication fixtures needed to run prefect replacements.
Best if possible to buy a lathe duplicator, then adapt it to this model?
Anyone have any ideas?
Rich
You will have to create one for the model 10.

Yes it has been done.

Check out Shipwright's thread.
Welcome aboard. :)

Link to Shipwright's thread.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... t6182.html

Another option would be to make "lathe dancers". http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic.php?t=5819
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Rich
Bronze Member

Re: Newowner Informaton

Post by Rich »

My thanks....wishing my Dad was still with me as this elegant solution would have been duck soup for the guy.
Saw a Rocklet table top lathe duplicator online...modelTAT940808R...called...
Looks like it may work but not sure if this will handle a 3 inch dia spindle at 24 inch max length
About 350 samolians but since finished units are quite expensive....this maybe best alternative
Last question....guy suggested best wood for outdoor use was either Spanish Cedar or soft Mahogany
Is this valid?
Rich
Bronze Member

Post by Rich »

I'll give it a try and was told 90 day return policy oon the Rocker unit.
Truly amazed at fast help and thanks much!
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Meisner wrote:DELETED
Go to https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690 and follow the Link My Google Drive. In the Mark VII 1960 vintage folder and you will find a fully restored Mark VII manual, with enhancements including the 4 different wiring diagrams for the 4 known motor types, and other links.

It's in PDF form, is free, and I guarantee will be far more legible than what shopsmith copies and sends out.

The 1960's Mark VII was not made by the current owners of Shopsmith and what documentation they have is offered as a courtesy copy made from documents that they found in the materials they acquired from previous owners. It's all they have to work from and definitely better than not having any info at all.

JPG is the Mark VII Guru here. See one of his Mark VII posts at:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 15#p128115

Everett.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I believe that message is spam Everett. In his statement "The motor runs more" the word more is a link to a web site. It is hard to the the underline but it is there.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

jsburger wrote:I believe that message is spam Everett. In his statement "The motor runs more" the word more is a link to a web site. It is hard to the the underline but it is there.
Thanks. I was trying to help out a new user 'Meisner' from my cell phone and was outside. I did not see that 'more' link in the sunlight when I was replying to it.

I see now that Admin has deleted the original post as updated in my post's citation of it above.

Well.... I tried to help someone. Maybe someone can use those links in the future who really have a Mark VII.

Blessings everyone,

Everett
Viejo
Bronze Member

Post by Viejo »

Dave Barnett here in Hutto, Texas.

Although I've been aware of ShopSmith for years I am just now a first time owner having picked up a Mk5 (ser# 328507, 1956 year of manufacture) at an estate sale last week for a "pig in a poke" price. On my initial removal of the headstock covers it is fairly apparent that the Speedial had been rotated without the motor running at one time or another in the past as the motor belt was riding on the shaft of the adjustable sheaves.... I do not know how long the unit sat idle before I bought it but I think it was at least ten years. I was fairly sure when I hand rotated the attached table saw blade that the motor was probably going to need replacement as well, which has been confirmed. Judging from the condition of the belts I believe they have been changed at least once. Everything inside the covers was clean and still well lubed. The tubular ways had some very minor pitting in the hard chrome but the power head still travels quite smoothly. I paid $300.00 for the Mk5 which included the jig saw, planer, and shaper attachments as well as chuck(s), lathe tools, and assorted shaper heads so I feel I can probably spend a few bucks more and still have a fine tool and a good value.

My initial questions are- 1. Was any serious damage done when the Speedial was rotated without the motor running and, if so, is it user fixable (I'm good with tools and follow directions/drawings well)? My initial examination did not reveal anything that looked catastrophic and the Speedial mechanism still moves the adjustable sheaves. 2. When replacing the motor should I stay with the original 3/4hp motor or bump up to the 1.5hp motor used in later models? I'm going to assume that motors are available from SS.

I'll also be looking around for a good magnifying glass to be able to read the impossibly fine print in the owner's manual diagrams (I have all the original paperwork that came with the tool; I believe I am only the second owner).

Looking forward to a part of the ShopSmith community!
Viejo- Mk5 Greenie, s/n 328507 (second owner), shaper, 4" jointer, 18" jigsaw
Eugenius
Bronze Member

Post by Eugenius »

I haven't had to do any serious work on my headstock (that is, the motor, belts, speed control, etc.), but I recommend that you check out this web site: https://jacobs-repairshop.com.

Jacob Anderson rebuilds headstocks and sells this service and a few service items on this web site. But he also has a number of videos on what it takes to service the headstock. This should give you a good idea what's involved.
Viejo
Bronze Member

Post by Viejo »

Eugenius wrote:I haven't had to do any serious work on my headstock (that is, the motor, belts, speed control, etc.), but I recommend that you check out this web site: https://jacobs-repairshop.com.

Jacob Anderson rebuilds headstocks and sells this service and a few service items on this web site. But he also has a number of videos on what it takes to service the headstock. This should give you a good idea what's involved.
"Eugenius"- thanks for the tip! I've taken a quick tour of the Jacobs website and it looks like a great resource.
Viejo- Mk5 Greenie, s/n 328507 (second owner), shaper, 4" jointer, 18" jigsaw