100 miles, $100, 5 hours, my new baby

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Congratulations, Cory. Great find. Welcome to the forum. This is a great bunch of guys with answers to nearly any question to might ask. Be prepared to get advice even when you don't ask.

Example: I would clean and lub your new machine and spend some time doing a detailed alignment. Get comfortable with the machine and make some sawdust. Then, if you still feel like doing a restoration like Micky's, get yourself a second machine and go for it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Great stea....find!:D

Here be some 'recommendations'!:)

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... t=newowner

Welcome to the forum!!!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome to the forum Cory. Also THANK YOU for your service to our country.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

NICE find!!!! She looks great. I can tell already that she's found a good long term home. Congrats. Enjoy the forum. Great group here.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
navybeansae
Bronze Member

Post by navybeansae »

Great advice dusty. She is cleaned lubed and the table saw are all aligned. I cut a piece of scrap plywood that was laying around...butter! I feel a bit uncomfortable with the lack of safety guards though. Will the newer ones fit on my SS?
Cory in Patuxent River, MD
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

navybeansae wrote:Great advice dusty. She is cleaned lubed and the table saw are all aligned. I cut a piece of scrap plywood that was laying around...butter! I feel a bit uncomfortable with the lack of safety guards though. Will the newer ones fit on my SS?
Yes, the new ones (or any vintage) that are labeled for Shopsmith Model 500 will fit your machine. The latest 500-style ones may require a small hacksaw-cut to part of the aluminum casting by the rear table-leg, to let the lower guard clear things properly in all setups. There is a template provided when you order this kit, to make that cut.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... pgrade.htm

Another useful accessory is the front-table-edge miter-slot-extension piece.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... bleext.htm

Enjoy and be safe!
Chris